red lead to emitter, black lead to collector, result = OL = No conduction

c2526 (NPN), the second one....

black lead to base, red lead to collector, result = OL = No conduction
black lead to base, red lead to emitter, result = OL = No conduction
red lead to base, black lead to collector, result = 540mV
red lead to base, black lead to emitter, result = 548mV
black lead to emitter, red lead to collector, result = OL = No conduction
red lead to emitter, black lead to collector, result = OL = No conduction

You're right, I like those readings a LOT better....

Re: stuff, hopefully most of it comes back into the reserves here....

I hope the small package doesn't even have to be unwrapped....

I got lucky that the monday night mouser order arrived in Thursday's mail...

markthefixer said:
hopefully most of it comes back into the reserves here....

I hope the small package doesn't even have to be unwrapped....

I agree......hopefully all I'll need out of ALL of that will just be the KSA940 for Q5.

Then HOPEFULLY all that's left will be to replace the disc capacitors that connect from chassis ground to signal ground on the phono jacks.

I agree......hopefully all I'll need out of ALL of that will just be the KSA940 for Q5.

Then HOPEFULLY all that's left will be to replace the disc capacitors that connect from chassis ground to signal ground on the phono jacks.

I KNEW I forgot something........:sigh:

That's ok, I forgot about those myself until I was going through all the parts and getting them ready to be shipped and ran across them.

It looks like one has 4737 on it, but I can't read the other one. It has a crack going right through where the numbers are.

It looks to me like they are C2 and C3 (0.047MFD), is that right?

That's ok, I forgot about those myself until I was going through all the parts and getting them ready to be shipped and ran across them.

It looks like one has 4737 on it, but I can't read the other one. It has a crack going right through where the numbers are.

It looks to me like they are C2 and C3 (0.047MFD), is that right?

yes, the voltage is what is unknown....
they are to suppress rf interference pickup.

common enough parts.. cheap too.....

0.047uF 50v AVX - SR21 @ 20% and Z5U tempcomp curve

part # 581-SR215E473MAR @ $0.22 ea

A little more expensive than I thought....

:dunno:

Use the RS ones....

I take it the goodies weren't in the Saturday mail....

My NEW plumbing is connected, under pressure and not leaking (wheeew, whatta weekend!!) but I've got one he## of a mess to clean up.... and a couple of loads of neglected laundry.... ALL for tonight, but I will be checking back in occasionally...

markthefixer said:
My NEW plumbing is connected, under pressure and not leaking (wheeew, whatta weekend!!) but I've got one he## of a mess to clean up....

That's a BIG relief when jobs like that are finally done.....GOOD JOB!!!!!:thmbsp:

Well I have KSA940 for Q35 installed and it's all put back together.......I guess I'm ready to adjust the offsets now.

Yup, although I would compare the voltages on the good channel's Q35 to the new one, looking for about 0.6 volts difference between the emitter and base, to avoid the argghh factor when trying to do the adjustments...

But it's not necessary, although I would check for anything heating up.

Oh, just the plumbing is done, now I need to hang walls on the studs and put in a tub surround. At least the ceiling survived... and there's this big da## WINDOW over the tub at the back of the shower area...

Well I went ahead and adjusted the offsets and they are ALL adjusted to their proper voltages.

Q1,Q2,Q3, Q6, Q8 are all still getting really hot.

Because I shut off the amp after each measurement when I connect the probes to the other pins, I have to wait quite a while to let the voltages climb to as high as they are going to go THEN adjust the pots. Otherwise it will continue to increase after being "set". I think MAYBE as the transistors heat up the voltages go higher, but they do seem to stabilize after a while.

Re: Offset?? Bias??? the 56 and 70 millivolt readings....??

Have you tried the heatsinks on Q1 and Q2 ?

Plus just because they are hot, doesn't mean they are TOO hot...

that is decided by a voltmeter reading over time as they heat up.

I should have sent TWO Q35 replacements, because (with some lead rearrangement) they CAN replace Q1 and Q2. (like I said they do in the sx-3800).

The driver transistors are good to 150? volts, and the power supply transistors are good to 80 volts...
and at 50 cents apiece, why quibble?

Re: Offset?? Bias??? the 56 and 70 millivolt readings....??

Yes, I followed the manual as before step by step and was able to get the DC Balance to zero volts, the idle current for 56mV on VR3 and VR4, and 70mV on VR5 and VR6.

Have you tried the heatsinks on Q1 and Q2 ?

No, not yet. I wanted to see (out of curiousity) if they would heat up without them. I'm getting ready to put them on now.

Plus just because they are hot, doesn't mean they are TOO hot...

that is decided by a voltmeter reading over time as they heat up.

Ooh, I know....I remember you saying that before but I was just letting you know how things were behaving thus far.

Edit: heatsinks are now on

Ok......what do you think of this?

Offset at speaker terminals....

Right channel: around -05.0mV

Left channel: 02.8mV

This doesn't look too bad compared to before.:D

Looks pretty good, we'll see how it holds, and trust the protection circuit to keep from smoking any speakers, but use speakers that you can afford to risk.

Check the DC offset occasionally, plus after a long listening session. Basically it has to earn back trust...

Looks like this thread is finally tapering off......

Back
Top Bottom