SA-9800 Question

BeerCan

Tá mé ar meisce.
Hi,
I am new to the vintage amp scene and I had a question. I have the oportunity to purchase a sa-9800 that looks in beautiful shape. Reminds me of my childhood :)

Question is -- Is this pioneer worth getting? Are there other pioneer's that I should look for instead (I can onlyget 1 at this time). What are the known issues to look for in this amp? What is the approximate value of an 9/10 9800.

Anthing else you can add would be great. Looks like a great site, glad I found it.

BC

Yes, get it. Highly regarded amp. Pricing is going up, maybe 400.00 to 450.00 right now
Do a search on this site for the sa-9800

Hi,
ÿes the SA 9800 is sure worth getting, its probably one of Pioneer´s most sought after, beautiful amps ever made, its also a beauty on the inside :D dual power supplys etc. and if you dont like it, think you can always have your money back by selling it, the amp is like a small investment if its in good working condition.

Good luck!

regards Grosvenor :)

I am enjoying my SA-9800/TX-9800 set. Mine are in the metal case; the top dollar ones are usually wooden case from what I've seen. One could do worse than looking at completed auctions on eBay for pricing data; I kept track for several months after buying mine, wanting to confirm that I'd gotten mine for a good price -- Foe

Hi...
speaking of the case, my SA 9800 + TX-9800 set also got the metal case...actually this weekend Im making some wood cabinets for mine, not real wood though but I had some custom made MDF boards that Im about to cover with vinyl wood grain...

I may post some pictures when Im done :)

regards Grosvenor

Got the sa-9800 today. Here are the pics. Hope to fire it up tonight. I am phsyced :D

pioneer1.jpg

pioneer2.jpg

Beautiful, and very clean inside. Congratulation to this super piece of High-Fidelity :thmbsp:

Looks good. Will look even better with the power meter all lit up and moving -- Foe

BeerCan said:
Man this is the worst thing that could of happened to me. I love this thing. I feel an obsession coming on. Wife watch out!

http://www.oncologyplus.com/images/pioneeronn.jpg

Welcome to the club :D I got that same feeling a year ago, last spring, was looking at an ad on oaktree´s page for a Pioner CT F1250 cassettedeck than went on to silverpioneer netfirms... :thmbsp: the fluoroscans must be magic :)

Last edited:
fantastic amp!

i bought a metal cased SA9800 with a TX9800 for £80.00 GBP the pair recently...(from a local advert) the last SA9800 I saw sell on eBay UK went for about £200.00 GBP i think...

both mine are in working condition but the inside of the amp is dusty, a couple of pots are slightly bent and there is some tarnishing inside the tuner... what's the best way to dust old hifi like these?

adrian

Great scoop! I wish mine had the wood case, or conversely, I wish I had the skills to build myself one!

Back
Top Bottom