SA-CD for plain old folk

Bigyank

Long time Member
Subscriber
After the proverbial RTFM, I cannot ascertain something. What the heck for the SA-CD coax and toslink digital inputs good for if you cannot listen to SA-CD's via this method of connection? Are they CD audio only? :screwy:

Yank

Yup, CD only (or DVD in the case of a universal player). I agree, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense...

the heck for the SA-CD coax and toslink digital inputs good for if you cannot listen to SA-CD's via this method of connection? Are they CD audio only?
Many SACD players also have the ability to play DVDs. The digital connector can be used for the CD layer and a surround (DTS or DD) format if it is included.

They send the stereo, 16 bit, 44kHz digital signal to an external Digital to Analog converter, like your reciever if capable, for processing. You cannot send hi-rez (SACD or DVD-Audio) signals thru the coax/spdif output. This is also the only way to get Dolby Digital and DTS playback from DVD movies, as your reciever will do the decoding. Some CD's also contain a semi hi rez (DTS or Dolby Digital version of the SACD music) that can be played back in surround thru your Dolby Digital or DTS equipped reciever - kinda like SACD surround, but close for those that do not have an SACD/DVD-A player.

Last edited:
Makes a whole lot of sense even on audio only players. I don't want the player converting redbook CDs to analogue to then have my surround amp converting them back to digital for processing. :thumbsdn: Plus it allows me to play DTS-Audio CDs from this player which would be otherwise impossible.

Back
Top Bottom