SA find, Akai CS-M02

Found this for $6.99, anyone have any experience with it? Any major problems? think I'll pick it up anyway along with a denon dcm 320 6-disc changer.

picture and description - http://www.vintagecassette.com/Akai/CS-M02

Most of the Akai decks I've used from that era have been fantastic. I'd go for it. That age may need belts, although I have picked up plenty that have been fine. Just depends how well the previous owners kept it up.

Last edited:
yeah, it looked to be in decent condition, nothing that I noticed off hand. i found a belt kit for it incase I need it. thanks, think I'll pick it up tomorrow on my lunch break. might pass on the cd player though.

Turned it on, lights, spools still spin. only problem is that the record button doesn't push down and I can't see anything stoping it from engaging. I'm going to give it a closer look tonight, I think I'm going to take it apart (with pictures) to clean it so maybe it's stuck on something.

Turned it on, lights, spools still spin. only problem is that the record button doesn't push down and I can't see anything stoping it from engaging. I'm going to give it a closer look tonight, I think I'm going to take it apart (with pictures) to clean it so maybe it's stuck on something.

Record button can only be pressed if there is a cassette inside with a tab intact.

CS-M02 is a nice deck - a good long-life sendust head, nice meters and a decent sound. There is one particular problem with that model as I recall - the capstan has got too much movement in-out and as a result the azimuth is not stable - I've fixed it at the time (about 25 years ago!) by putting a small spring under the flywheel.

Alex

Good to know it's not stuck on something. I'm a novice when it comes to this stuff, is there any way you could explain the capstan bit a little more. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks for the info, think I'll do a little research this weekend.

Good to know it's not stuck on something. I'm a novice when it comes to this stuff, is there any way you could explain the capstan bit a little more. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks for the info, think I'll do a little research this weekend.

I do have CS-M02 in my collection - probably will open it tomorrow to take few pictures for you.

Alex

I've bought Akai CS-M02 for my collection of decks about a year ago - purely out of a sentiment, as I owned one in 1980-s. I remember it as a nice deck with a good sound. However this time it was just sitting on the shelf waiting its turn to be serviced and as I had many other very impressive recorders to deal with, poor old CS-M02 had a long wait. Now it's over - the deck is fully serviced, modified (with a spring on a capstan) and performs rather nicely.

Here is a small album of photos I've taken today. On the picture #8 you can see a small spring I've fitted to stop the capstan from moving during play. Without it it takes a while for the azimuth to settle and it is not very stable. With the spring the azimuth is reasonably stable. W&F after the service measures rather well for a single capstan 30 year old deck - 0.09% DIN, 0.06% RMS wtd. Playback response (typically for many Japanese decks at that time) is rolling HF somewhat, about -3 dB at 8 kHz and after that quite flat up to 18 kHz. Record-playback response on a Type I tape (BASF FE1) is from 40 Hz to 16 kHz (-3 dB).

This deck has a nice sound, not perfect, but very easy to listen to - both playing back pre-recorded tapes and on its own recordings.

Alex

Back
Top Bottom