SACD 2 channel

Bigyank

Long time Member
Subscriber
I have started looking at jumping into SACD audio. I have my 2 channel system completely separated from the home theater and do not need, multi-channel SACD, DVD-RW or DVD-Audio playback.

Anyone has any experiences with 2 channel models? I would appreciate the help!

Yank

i need the same info. as biyank. someone out there must have experience with sacd. should i take the plunge or would i be better served by a high end non-sacd player

First let me say - This is just my opinion. ;)

I have 15, or so, SACD hybrids and single layer disks, and a pretty solid multi-format player - Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai. So far I have not heard anything that would make me want to jump into the Hi-Rez formats. Course I have no interest at all multi-channel audio, if I did I might feel differently. Some folks swear by the new formats. My ears just don’t hear it.

For example: I have both the Redbook and SACD releases of Carole King ~ Tapestry. The SACD disk sounds shallow, muddy and dull compared to the Redbook. Another example: I have 2 of the newly released Creedence Clearwater Revival SACD Hybrid re-masters (Cosmo's Factory and Willy and the Poor Boys). I honestly can't tell any difference between the SACD and Redbook layers on either of these.

For 2-channel audio, I'll stick to Redbook CDs and vinyl for the foreseeable future. As a matter of fact I just bought another high-end Redbook player, a Music Hall CD-25, to go along with my Jolida JD100A and Cambridge Audio D500SE.

Like I said, this is just my opinion based on my limited experience. Your mileage may vary.

-Dave

I have to agree with Dave. Last year I purchased a Sony 777ES SACD player (one step below their highest priced model). I purchased at least twenty hybrid and single layer discs. In the case of the single layer discs, I had older redbook copies to judge them against. With the exception of two DSD recorded discs (Alison Krauss and Dave's True Story) the SACD layer either added nothing to the music or in fact, detracted from the music. The Carole King disc is a good example. My redbook copy that was purchased back in the mid-eighties sounded crisper, cleaner and more involving on every single song. The same was true of Blood Sweat & Tears second album. I honestly feel the new *hi-rez* formats have less to do with improved performance and more to do with preventing digital copies from being made. I was unimpressed. Oh BTW, I sent the Sony player back!

I find 2 channel SACD players (along with current DVD-A and SACD MC) to be well worth pursuing!

The multiformat players IMHO seem to have better DACs than standard CDPs (affordable bracket), with more refined tops esp. noticed. While it's true that conversions from standard digital recordings are hamstrung in the higher res formats, just be selective on your purchases.

To select 'Tapestry' as a basis of comparison makes no sense to me. The distortions due to miking and mixing are clearly apparent on every format (I have it on vinyl, CD, SACD). I would hope it sounds bad in ANY format you chose to listen to. If it doesn't, then your playback system is hiding its faults.

Would I turn down a great deal on a CDP because it lacked SACD? No. But at a comparable price point, I WOULD add a point or two for one that was hi res capable. JM2C

First of all what is your present Redbook CDP ?

I have found that if you are currently using a very good CDP you will be disappointed with SACD.

I recently had several highly rated universal players at home (the Denon 2900 and Yamaha 2300) and neither of them were a match for my old Redbook CDP, even with the unis playing hi-rez disks.

Based on other SACD players I've heard, none of them offers any real sonic advantage until you get well into the five figure price ranges.

:(

I am using a HK FL-8300. Actually have had this pressed into service as my daily CDP since Dec 96.

Yank

IMO. The battle about the formats for the future is not the battle for quality, it is a battle for the Digital Rights Management and copy protection. The good thing about CDs is that there are plenty out there, and the quality of the medium can be very good.

I recently purchased a modified Phillips SACD 1000 from APL HiFi in calif. (www.aplhifi.com). It does sound sweet and it isn't even broken in yet and I still have to try out some isolation products on it.......... Not cheap but I think I have found my last CD/SACD player .........:)

DAD vs HDAD Discs from Classic Records

I had a chance to listen to a DAD copy of Somthin' Else and was very impressed..........went and checked out Classic records' site and have a question.........Will the HDAD discs play on a SACD player? I know the DAD's will..basically can anyone tell me the difference between the two (DAD & HDAD)? :dunno:

Just as you find good recordings and bad recordings in some formats, the same holds true with SACD.

Some excellent 5 channel SACDs:

James Taylor: JT

Beck: Seachange

Allman Brothers: Live Fillmore East & Eat a Peach

Pink Floyd: Dark Side...

In each case, the 5 channel format ADDS to the original.

I occasionally listen in 2 channel mode, and in most cases each of those cds is inferior. A couple I prefer in Stereo are Kind of Blue and Time Out. It could be I am so used to those in two channel that i find the multi waaay too distracting.

Good luck,

Dave

Sorry guys but my question is will I be able to listen to the 24/96 side of a HDAD on my Phillips SACD 1000 ( I can play a DAD 24/96 disc on my SACD player)......if the HDAD discs are 24/96 on one side and 192 on the other (least thats what I think I have read some where) then I would think the 24/96 side should work........... :scratch2:

Last edited:
Dave, I was able to play the Cannonball Aderley's Somethin' Else in the DAD format (24/96) on my Phillips SACD 1000 and it sounded just great. I am just trying to find out if the HDAD discs (24/96 on one side and 192 on the other) will work on my SACD player (the 24/96 side)...... :headscrat

I play The Alan Parson's Project "I,Robot" and "The Turn of a Friendly Card" HDADs on my SONY DVP-NS500V DVD/SACD player, the 24/96 side. The 24/96 side will play on any DVD player, but you do need a DVD-A player for the 24/192. I even made DVD-R backups on my DVD burner!

I've found that SACD sounds better, in general, than does CD. However, SACD, like CD, depends entirely on the recording and how it was made. Unfortunately, many of those who are making the SACD simply give us the digitization from the CD, which limits its dynamic range and, as a result, no better. But, saves them the $5K it takes to go back and redigitize in DSD format (SACD) from the master tape. Think as a result this is killing the hi-rez formats. Why buy the equipment and pay more if the folks doing the recording don't care enough to do it right?

BTW, I am heard (read) a nasty rumor that Sony is going to let SACD die. Not going to sub-license, etc. Just going to let it go away. Glad I only sprang for a dozen SACDs. Most of them sound better. But, overall, it is the failure of those that supply the SACDs to record them properly that has resulted in its failure.

SACD is better than CD when done right, but still can't touch vinyl. Long live the LP!!

So this is it??
Who'd've guessed we'd be settling with 16-bit audio in the 21th century after all huh.
I think our grandparents were right from the beginning with their full-rez analogue sound.Not mentioning the 15th century lads who wouldn't settle with anything less then a live orchestra.
You'd think it isn't some lazy audio engineer who's going to decide for us. Maybe should I change the course of my career and become a record producer/audio engineer and produce for hi-rez formats, to save you all from...another 20 years of mediocre CD sound!!!! :D

Last edited:
another sign of a slow death for SACD & DVD-audio. Our local Circuit City has stopped selling this format (disc & players) they indicated there was no demand. Wish i was there when they were closing out the discs. Could have picked up some bargains.

Oh well. Amazing thing is that both formats have survived this long. Beta vs. VHS is still ongoing. I most likely will get a universal player long term though. I will be doing a major system consolidation next year.

Yank

vortego said:
another sign of a slow death for SACD
Well, could be but I wish the flow of new titles I just gotta have in this 'dying' SACD format would slow the hell down so my wallet could keep up!

Back
Top Bottom