SACD 2 channel

I'm hoping it survives. Like Bigyank, I am planning on upgrading to a universal player. Just hope the formats that my new player is designed for will still be around in a few years

One of the largest music stores here (fnac) actually stopped selling DVD-Audio. (I remember the days they were so enthusiastic about the dvd-audio players they used to sell, & now they decide for us we don't need them)
They still sell SACD but they're mixed between regular cd's. Jazz & classical. Dvd-audio's are actually virtually ungettable here. I couldn't find 1 dvd-audio in the entire town to try out on the Toshiba SD-900e.

Last edited:
Hi rez will be a niche market. It is not and never will be mainstream, so those who shop at Circuit Sh-ty and Worst Buy will be disapointed. There are enough small labels putting out SACD titles to keep it going, for a while at least. The software is readily available at Amazon, Music Direct, Acoustic Sounds etc.
Jack

SACD is alive and well. Sony is not backing out of the technology, what they are doing is getting out of the manufacturing of the discs. There are plenty of companies that manufacture discs now, so no need for Sony to do it.

For those of you that can't hear a difference, you'd better check the rest of your gear as it must not be up to snuff. Generally, what I have found is that SACD has more depth, detail and decay with more bass and a smoother top end. It also has a weight to it that redbook can't touch.

agreed

i have the MH maverick a dedicated 2 ch SACD player. very pleased w/ SACD. however, still depends on quality of recording. i have sheryl crow globe sessions SACD and imho sound sucks!

Styler,

I agree with you that the quality of the recording is paramount as with any of the formats we have today. I haven't heard that Sheryl Crow SACD, so thanks for the warning, I'll avoid it.

F1

F1nut said:
For those of you that can't hear a difference, you'd better check the rest of your gear as it must not be up to snuff.

Well I guess my equipment must be a pile of crap, cause my opinion remains the same. Fact is my opinion solidifies more with every SACD disk I hear on my system and others. Bottom line, I have better things to do with my money than throw it at formats that are no value added.

-Dave

Dave,

Any time you're near our nation's Capitol, look me up and I'll see if I can't change your mind.

Jesse

The software is readily available at Amazon, Music Direct, Acoustic Sounds etc.
and, OZ (shameless plug), just got a whole bunch of Mobile Fidelity in stock. :banana:

Dave...

Dave, do you have sacd? if so what titles. try the Red Rose label, or MOFI SACDs. damn good sound. get a MOFI SACD on ebay they are 14.99 try Los Lobos this time or Ryan Adams Heartbreaker (both will play on redbook players) and take to a dealer. You might be pleasantly surprised. this is a pretty good article if you are interested:
http://www.redrosemusic.com/essay.shtml
Tyler

I think you need to take your own advice

F1nut said:
For those of you that can't hear a difference, you'd better check the rest of your gear as it must not be up to snuff.

Sounds pretty closed minded and uninformed to me.

Listen – you want to buy in to SACD, or whatever the format of the day is, and tell everyone how wonderful it is - fine, I could not care less. However, you do not insult me or dis my equipment in the process – understood? Very simple concept here.

I'm done, not worth my time.

"First let me say - This is just my opinion."

Remember saying that? Well, it's just my opinion too, so get off your high horse telling me that I'm insulting you and dissing your equipment. Not once did I refer to you or your equipment. Why you took it so personal is beyond me.

I extended to you a friendly invitation from one audio enthusiast to another the chance to have what I (and a good many others) consider a excellent demo of what SACD has to offer and you just about slapped my face with your response. So be it, but it's your loss.

Do yourself a favor and check your attitude and comments because they were totally unwarranted.

Have a nice day!

sources

i think the affront was the check your system stuff. simply put, you get out what you put in. one will likely not benefit from any format improvement without looking at their system and speaker placement. "check the rest of your gear" is not an insult. maybe you have a gound loop, rfi interference, bad tube, who knows. lighten up Dave. go USC! sorry PAC-10 guy here. :thmbsp:

DVD-A and SACD will likely survive indefinately as a niche product. Hell, they still make LPs, and sales are nearly nonexistant (about 1.5% of total sales- a lot of coin, to be sure, but a drop in the bucket compared to the total). So long as there are guys like me that will buy them, someone will make them.

It's my guess that when the new format war between Blu-ray & HD-DVD heats up we'll all get to revisit this one again. HD-DVD's creators/backers have announced the addition of Meridian Lossless Packing (ie the DVD-A standard) to their new hi definition DVD format. You'd think Sony will respond by incorporating DSD into the Blu-ray standard. If so, then each might get on more chance to 'do it right' commercially. Not that either is smart enough to take it.

1420-1503 said:
So this is it??
Who'd've guessed we'd be settling with 16-bit audio in the 21th century after all huh.
I think our grandparents were right from the beginning with their full-rez analogue sound.Not mentioning the 15th century lads who wouldn't settle with anything less then a live orchestra.

Nice point! Really!

I've heard SACD demos with a Philips 1000 that were quite better than CD - depth, finesse etc ; the 1000 is a very good RedBook player, too.
What bothered me (still does) is the catalog of titles... Heck! After the original LP, the reissue LP, the cassette (for the Walkman), the 1st gen' CD, the remastserd CD, the superlative remastered SBM CD, I should then, happily, buy the SACD!
...I think I've already shed enough money on these albums (nonetheless great) they always offer whenever a new format is devised along - I like good audio but there's a limit :)

Yes, I clearly stated in my original post that it was just my opinion. Let's take a look at your original post....hmmm...nope, just a slam against anyone that doesn’t think SACD is superior. The only high horse around here is the one you rode in on.

BTW: if you have to have better equipment than I have to hear the supposed superiority of SACD, then that is another huge mark against it.

-Dave

F1nut said:
SACD is alive and well. Sony is not backing out of the technology, what they are doing is getting out of the manufacturing of the discs. There are plenty of companies that manufacture discs now, so no need for Sony to do it.

For those of you that can't hear a difference, you'd better check the rest of your gear as it must not be up to snuff. Generally, what I have found is that SACD has more depth, detail and decay with more bass and a smoother top end. It also has a weight to it that redbook can't touch.

I've held off buying into hi-rez beacuse I simply don't trust the record companies not to mutilate the audio. Why buy hi-rez if the labels are going to make the mastering engineers squash the hell out of the dynamics like they do to CD's? Mastering engineer Bob Ludwig (who was forced to mutilate John Mayer's Heavier Things, the worst CD I've ever heard sonically) said that his hands are tied...if he wants the label work, he has to destroy the audio per label mooks' orders, basically.

Oy oy oy those BASTIDS! :rant: :gigglemad :dammit:

TP

Back
Top Bottom