SACD players, $800-1500

monty

I'm looking to buy an SACD player in this price range. Any suggestions? I am interested in 2-channel only. Thank you.

Hi monty. I can’t offer much of an opinion on SACD player comparisons because I haven’t tried many at home but do use a Sony SCD-777ES, a CE775 and a Philips DVD795SA. These Sony models are no longer made but I really like the 777 (which is in your price range used) in my real system. I hear this player responds very well to mods and I might go that route someday – it sounds great stock, is beautifully made and seems to have the look and feel of piece that will maintain its value. Can’t really comment on the Philips’ sound because I’ve only used it my home theatre set-up and HT for me is more for noise zinging around the TV room than listening to music.

I’ve read good things about the ($1K) Marantz SA8260 and the ($500) Phillips DVD963SA but the Phillips stuff seems to have a bad rep for reliability – I have had no problems with my 795 yet. Something tells me that the Marantz will be in a different league than the Philips though when it comes to build quality and performance. I don’t think there is much to choose from actually in the $800 to $1500 range and it’s a pretty big step up price wise before you get more options.

A universal player like Dave suggested might be a good idea and I believe Marantz has a few of those in your price range as well. Right now, universal is the safe choice but some have made up there minds on this format thing and personally, I’m not interested in DVD-A so haven’t looked at players that try to do everything.

Billfort

Naaaaaahhhhhh, I'm not getting baited into this debate again Dave :) . As an early adopter of one of these new fangled technologies I made a choice based on sonics in a 2 channel system (NO TV!) and my loathing of audible watermarking, I'm happy with the way it's turned out.

Actually, I doubt I'll ever hear 1's and 0's sound as good as decent vinyl. Maybe I'll end up as a cranky old guy hiding in his basement blissfully lost in the music coming from his old, obsolete "measurement challenged" technologies - tubes, horns, vinyl and (shudder!) SACD. :D

Billfort

Back
Top Bottom