SACD questions?????

Richs_Trains

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hello all,

I am usually found in the Marantz forum, but I was trying to get SACD to work on my vintage quad system. I have a Marantz DV8300 which is a SACD player, I have connected the 5.1 outputs to the front and rear of my vintage quad unit. The surround sound from a DVD is great and all 4 channels produce sound. When I put in a SACD disc, the display reads it correctly, but I get no output to the rear speakers. I only want to use this player for SACD and not video per se, so I would like to get the unit set up correctly for SACD's. I was under the impression that an SACD would output 5.1 audio and provide a quasi quad experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Rich

You might try connecting from the DV8300 to the Main In Jacks on the Quad receiver. You might also check your Menu setting to make sure that SACD is not outputted in stereo. Finally check to see if your SACD's are stereo only since not all are multichannel.

Finally check to see if your SACD's are stereo only since not all are multichannel.
Thank you for your reply Putterman. I think you may be right on this one, when I connect a monitor (TV) to the player, the screen shows SACD/Stereo. How can I determine if they have the 5.1 capability? Thanks Rich

Very few SACD's have multi channel content. That fad faded away a few years ago. If they do, it'll be splayed all over the jewel box they are sold in.

If a SACD is "only" stereo, and a vast majority are, then all the player will put out is two channels. If you want some sort of quasi surround, you'll have to apply that in the receiver.

Here's a pretty good source of multi-channel SACD's: https://audiofidelity.net/

Please note that the multi channel ones are quite proud of the fact. Witness the Guess Who SACD.

Here's a guaranteed multi-channel CD that won't break the bank. https://www.amazon.com/Telarc-Class...521489243&sr=1-26&keywords=multi+channel+sacd

Last edited:
So, after looking on Amazon, is "Hybrid Multi-Channel" the correct category and terminology for "quad SACD's". Thanks Rich

I would just search for "multi channel SACD" and see what pops up. Most , if not all, will be hybrid which simply means they contain a two channel track as well.

I would just search for "multi channel SACD" and see what pops up. Most , if not all, will be hybrid which simply means they contain a two channel track as well.

I believe 'hybrid' refers to the SACD containing a CD layer as well as the SACD ones in either 2-channel only or 2-channel and multi-channel. SACDs are required to have a 2-channel layer. Multi-channel and CD layers are optional.

I believe 'hybrid' refers to the SACD containing a CD layer as well as the SACD ones in either 2-channel only or 2-channel and multi-channel. SACDs are required to have a 2-channel layer. Multi-channel and CD layers are optional.

Not all SACDs are surround - I have a couple that are just really great stereo sound ...
One is a Stevie Ray Vaughan album, for instance.
Another is a real nice 1954 version of Bethoven's Ninth by Wilhelm Furtwängler

https://www.allmusic.com/album/release/beethoven-symphony-no-9-hybrid-sacd-mr0002687303

Hello all,

I am usually found in the Marantz forum, but I was trying to get SACD to work on my vintage quad system. I have a Marantz DV8300 which is a SACD player, I have connected the 5.1 outputs to the front and rear of my vintage quad unit. The surround sound from a DVD is great and all 4 channels produce sound. When I put in a SACD disc, the display reads it correctly, but I get no output to the rear speakers. I only want to use this player for SACD and not video per se, so I would like to get the unit set up correctly for SACD's. I was under the impression that an SACD would output 5.1 audio and provide a quasi quad experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Rich

So, after looking on Amazon, is "Hybrid Multi-Channel" the correct category and terminology for "quad SACD's". Thanks Rich

A quad SACD will be labeled as such. However, there are very few quad SACDs, although a couple of Art Garfunkel albums in quad were released several months ago....

38427337080_cbbf695825.jpg
38427337830_860f5fe925.jpg

Not all SACDs are surround - I have a couple that are just really great stereo sound ...
Thanks Hjames, unfortunately I learned a lot, just I am just going to have to stick to quad 8-tracks, sounds like SACD was a nice idea, but a fail as a revenue stream. I will buy a least one multi-channel just to see what it sounds like, but they seem too rich for me. Thanks again Rich

couple of Art Garfunkel albums in quad were released several months ago....
Thanks for the reply SoundBoy, saw those on Amazon, like Simon and Garfunkel, but not so much Garfunkel. Think I'll pick up that classical sampler that's reasonably priced to give the surround a try. Thanks again Rich

Actually, those 4.0 multi-channel CD's at Audio Fidelity are simply re-issues of the original quad tracks that were made when they were first released, in the quad era. Cheap, no. Musically "realistic"? No, but actually quite fun and enjoyable, particularly that Guess Who one. I know. I have it.

The 4 channel SACD releases are a newer style as most are 51 channel if they are multi-channel.
Just seems anything I would buy is quite expensive and I like music, but not $50+ for a SACD. Although I have to rebuild almost every one I buy, I guess I'll stick with quad 8-tracks for now, some actually sound pretty darn good. Thanks for reply! Rich

There are some great multichannel releases - I have a now unobtainium SACD of Roxy Music - Avalon, An SACD of Santana's Caravansarai, and some other gems,
but for a lot of things, I got the PureAudio bluray of things like Quadrophenia and Beck's - Sea Change, and Morning Phase.

I did get the Deluxe packages of the Moody Blues Classic 7 albums, which came from QUAD Reel 2 Reel releases,
and actually sound different that the mixes I grew up with.

I highly recommend a universal Disc player hooked up to a multichannel system to give you maximum options for multichannel playback.

I did connect the DP870 to my Marantz 4140 in the living room and it did sound fantastic on a DVD, but it was out of sync with the TV picture and I wasn't going to change around all the hook-ups to try to get it right ( the DP870 was getting signal from an optical cable and the TV from the HDMI of the player ) I have the same problem with my Marantz 1501 (same connections) that is the current surround system, but the Marantz has a feature to set the delay and I can get the voices just right. Thanks again all for all the insight on SACD, I spent a whole evening trying to get the SACD to work on the optical output and then I read some forum posts and learned that SACD won't output digital except on HDMI, guess I should always consult Audiokarma before I undertake a project. Rich

Okay - I have my Oppo tied to an Integra multichannel preAmp though 7.1 RCA cables,
as well as HDMI cables, as well as Optical and coaxial - since different media want different connections.
The OUTPUT of the Integra PreAmp goes to the Aquos HDTV via HDMI - video ONLY.
The TV speakers are turned off at all times. I do NOT take Audio signal from the TV into the receiver.
My Integra has settings if I need to delay the audio, but I can't think of a time I needed to with that config.

I have a friend that pulled Audio from his TV and sent it to his receiver and he never could get it to sync right.

And you are right - Sony did not allow discrete output from SACD players.
Since they were in the disc (media) business as well as the hardware,
they did not want it to be easy to make digital (e.g. lossless) copies of the signals off SACDs.

Last edited:
Okay - I have my Oppo tied to an Integra multichannel receiver thought 7.1 RCA cables,
as well as HDMI cables, as well as Optical and coaxial - since different media want different connections.
The OUTPUT of the Integra goes to the TV video ONLY.
My Integra has settings if I need to delay the audio, but I can't think of a time I needed to with that config.
Denon
I have a friend that pulled Audio from his TV and sent it to his receiver and he never could get it to sync right.
This seems to be a common issue. When I had a non-HDMI receiver and fed the HDMI from my Denon 1940 CI "almost" universal player and the 5.1 analog audio directly to my Denon 2802, I could never get the lip sync right. So, I would up using it purely for CD/SACD use

have a friend that pulled Audio from his TV and sent it to his receiver and he never could get it to sync right.
That was the first way I had it but it did not get the right signals from the TV and was not decoding the discs. I still have that connection, but when I watch a DVD, it comes out of my Sony HDMI to the TV, Optical to the Marantz 1501 surround and analog to the vintage equipment (there is a channel on Roku "Dead Shows" and I can record the live concerts from the Grateful Dead, I was at plenty). Thanks Rich

Back
Top Bottom