SACD recommendations

I am not sure if this suggestion has surfaced on this thread yet, but I'd like to give a blanket recommendation to the Eddie Higgins SACD releases on the Venus Label from Japan. These are single-layer SACDs -- they won't play elsewhere than an SACD-capable drive.

The engineering is wonderful and the tracks sound just splendid. The packaging is extremely solid and durable. All the liner notes are in Japanese, which (alas) I don't read, but the track names are in English.

If you want a good one to start, I'd suggest "Bewitched".

CVEN_0002_SA__95664__02102014124714-3484.jpg

Acoustic Sounds has got them. Probably elsewhere, too.

Info about the Venus label:

http://www.venusrecord.com/v2/index.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_Records

The late Eddie Higgins:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Higgins

I have not tried out any Venus SACDs other than Eddie Higgins -- I probably will try a few in the future.

(For the record, I have no financial motive in this post -- no connection with the label at all. :D)

Last edited:
Elusive disc and eastwind import also list them.

I found some discussion elsewhere on the web about loud mastering (and some discussion of other artists and releases):

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/jazz-on-single-layer-sacd-from-venus-records-japan.402369/

The Eddie Higgins releases are older, and to me they don't sound loud, but pleasantly rich. Each instrument comes through, and so when one comps another, you can hear both players doing what (I suspect) they intended. It's interesting that the discussion on the above thread references the Rudy Van Gelder sound -- I like RVG recordings, generally.

Last edited:
I picked up Dylan - Highway 61 today used on SACD and it sounds great. I noticed the cymbals and vocals on a number of tracks sounded better. And that was not on an SACD player, so looking forward to that when I can pick one up.

sony bluray players mostly will play sacd, look for the logo on the box or on the unit itself. less than $100.

I broke out of my usual anachronistic listening mode and purchased Vanessa Fernandez's "Use Me" SACD. If you like female jazz/R&B vocalists or want something a little different, give it a try. It's really good.

41MiOD1RuLL.jpg

anyone heard the new MoFi Kind of Blue? Not that we need another version of this fine album but I guess it is suppose to be quite excellent.

Last edited:
Yup, I can also confirm, what a fine sounding version of KoB! Simply superb. I thought my other KoB SACD was fine but the MoFi version takes things to a new level. I am a big Evans fan and his piano is moved forward and it sounds fuller on most every track. On many digital versions of this album some of the brush work on the drums can come across a little extreme on a high resolution system. It sounds just right on this version, still there but more modest. Overall I think the percusion is moved forward a bit also. Actually I think all the instruments are balanced just right for probably the first time? I've listened to it three times now and each time I swear I hear details I've not quite known before. Well done MoFi!

Last edited:

Attachments

• s-l500.jpeg
    s-l500.jpeg
    47.1 KB · Views: 8
  • s-l300.jpeg
    s-l300.jpeg
    15.7 KB · Views: 8
Yup, I can also confirm, what a fine sounding version of KoB! Simply superb. I thought my other KoB SACD was fine but the MoFi version takes things to a new level. I am a big Evans fan and his piano is moved forward and it sounds fuller on most every track. On many digital versions of this album some of the brush work on the drums can come across a little extreme on a high resolution system. It sounds just right on this version, still there but more modest. Overall I think the percusion is moved forward a bit also. Actually I think all the instruments are balanced just right for probably the first time? I've listened to it three times now and each time I swear I hear details I've not quite known before. Well done MoFi!

Well, stoutblock, you recommended this highly and, on that (rightful) recommendation—and my love of the album, of course—I made it my first SACD purchase...

Definitely not disappointed, and the more I listen the more impressed I become by the Mofi version (and the super-audio format).

The listening experience actually feels different. The soundstage is so precise, akin to an intimate live performance. Hearing the genius of Paul Chambers, especially, like never before. :music:

Ugh, I just bought it too.

I already have the Sony singe-layer SACD and both the blue vinyl and 2-CD redbook that came with the 50th Anniversary package. Hopefully this is the last time I'm buying this. . .

Ugh, I just bought it too.

I already have the Sony singe-layer SACD and both the blue vinyl and 2-CD redbook that came with the 50th Anniversary package. Hopefully this is the last time I'm buying this. . .

Ha I know the feeling. The other versions are great but the new mofi is just a bit better. I also have the same version in vinyl and again it is just a bit better. Mostly I think these new MoFi version give all the instruments equal attention, some other versions tend to send some sources back into the stage a bit, MoFi brings them all forward when it is their time.

Last edited:
If you're a fan of early Tangerine Dream, the Japanese SHM SACD of Rubycon is very good...also digging the Analogue Productions John Coltrane releases very much. Saw all the recommendations for them versus other releases and am very pleased.

I broke out of my usual anachronistic listening mode and purchased Vanessa Fernandez's "Use Me" SACD. If you like female jazz/R&B vocalists or want something a little different, give it a try. It's really good.

41MiOD1RuLL.jpg

No doubt. This is a really fantastic album. I would definitely call it R&B with a jazz edge. Her interpretations are fresh and the recording is really top notch.

Forgive me if these have already been suggested. It's a long read, possible I forgot.

Linn Records "The Super Audio Surround" Sampler. It's a gamble if you will like all/most/any of the music mostly Classical and Jazz. I am Over Medium on most of it. The recordings however are superb.

Please note in the pic the Middle disc is a XRCD24 Tacet Audiophile Sampler not a SACD. Which by the way on this mastering it's plusher, richer than the SACD's, lacks a little of the superb SACD Bass depth but shares the fantastic sound stage and presence.

All 3 are Sonic achievements in my book.

Attachments

• SACD.jpg
    SACD.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 15
Picked these titles up today and I am happy with them ;

A Treasury - Nick Drake
Eat a Peach - Allman Brothers
Honky Chateau - Elton John

Last edited:
Picked these titles up today and I am happy with them ;

A Treasury - Nick Drake
Eat a Peach - Allman Brothers
Honky Chateau - Elton John

Great stuff. I am on the hunt for some more Jazz. Problem is they cost so dam much :(

I just picked up a single layer Columbia/Legacy label Mingus Ah Um (CK 65512) - sounds great.

Wish I had picked up more of these when they were selling for a few bucks more than regular CD's in brick and mortar stores. I bought some, but not enough - didn't know that most of them would be OOP.

Back
Top Bottom