Sad time for Hockey

jguzman21

I am truly embarrassed to say that I am a hockey fan(and not just because I am an Avs fan). It really bothers me because of the state the NHL is in that the some of the players seem to have a total lack of respect for THEIR league and the players in it. Case in point, tonights Avs/Canucks game (also Philly/Senators).

For those who didn't see there was a premeditated cheap shot exacted on an Avs player for a hit that took place a couple of weeks ago on a Vancouver player. It was really sickening to watch so I won't go into any more detail, but I'm sure the highlights, or in this case the lowlights, will be shown on ESPN.

I am not looking to bash the Canucks or their fans but rather wanted to vent my disappointment on the state of Hockey. This incident just goes to further strengthen that. I hope for a speedy recovery for Steve Moore.

John

A similar brawl happened just the other night between Ottawa and Philadelphia for a cheap shot in a previous game on Recchi.
Hockey has always been a rough game, people have died playing the game and in the NHL I remember reading one case. Even after he was badly injured, the player asked the coach to let him play cause the team needed him.
In the last few years though there seems to be more cheap shots, more careless use of the stick(which is a weapon). The reason for this is the league is determined to take fighting out of the game. It is fighting that keeps all this crap in check. The refs cannot see everything nor do they always make the right call. And almost always give the penalty to the retaliator.
When I played ball hockey there was one team that was really good. But they were also good at cheap shots. They were skilled at doing things that the refs never see, like a quick chop to the back of the legs with the stick. And let me tell you this hurts. If you wanted to compete with this team you had to stand up to them and not be intimidated. Another practice I see in the NHL is what's called a Slew Foot. A player takes the feet out of player from behind. They disguise this by making it look like an accident, but it isn't. And it rarely gets a penalty in the NHL.
In conclusion, these brawks are just the players making a stand amongst themselves as to what is acceptable and what isn't acceptable in the game.Put fighting back in the game and you'll rarely see cheap shots.

The problem is that with helmets,elbow pads,visors these guys are gladiators not atheletes,In the old days of the original six there was more respect because helmets were a thing of the future.

the NHL has to pass two rules:No touch icing and ban the instigator rule.

Today we see more concussions,more yielding of the stick as an axe.Someone will get kiled and then what is an 8Million contract worth?

Alan

John I heard a quick snipit about the incident but I haven't got all the details yet. I assume it was a shot at Moore for his open ice elbow that concusssed Markus Naslund?

Alan you are SO right. The instigator rule should be gone immediately. Only as far back as even the mid 80's the kind of cheapshots and stickwork you see now didn't exist. Why, you may wonder? Because if you hit Wayne Gretzky with a cheapshot, you knew that Dave Semenko would not only beat the s%^t out of you later in the contest, he'd also likely do the same to more of your teammates which wouldn't make you the most popular man in your dressing room. Let the skilled players play, let the tough guys police the game.

Mike

Let the skilled players play, let the (skilled) tough guys police the game.

Yep, Hockey always seemed to have checks and balances that worked quite well for itself. But I also used to think that hockey players had a respect for themselves, the team, the coach and the game that other sports have lost long ago. I think that is changing now :(

Heck...I don't know what the solution is...but I think it stems from the players...because most fans I know, are fans of the game. This other bullshit you are seeing nowadays, is just that!:rant:

:no:

I agree with everything that has been said and really agree with Opt80's rule changes.

Did anyone else see the Avs game the other night against the Sharks in which Marco Sturm broke his leg chasing down an iced puck? He lost his edge and had his left leg get stuck against the boards...it was gruesome. What a great case for the no-touch icing.

The NHL needs to make some major changes this offseason, but I am afraid I just don't see it happening.

Pro, What happened last night was supposed to be retaliation for the Naslund hit. The problem is, is that they had the opportunity to exact revenge two nights ago when they played at the Pepsi Center and did nothing. It just so happened that the NHL commisioner and Colin Campbell were at that game. Moore had already gotten into a fight with Matt Cooke in the first period and Vancouver continued to goad him throughout the game.

I hope Bertuzzi gets the book thrown at him. The strange thing is I liked the way Bertuzzi plays and used to be a fan of his, but what he did last night has NO place in hockey.

john

I seen the highlite of Sturm breaking his leg today,that looked awful.
Here's my idea for icing but no one I've run it by seems to like it.
When a team ices the puck as soon as the puck crosses the icing line the whistle is blown and the clock stpped. But rather than having a face off, the puck is allowed to be brought back down to the the offending teams end. When the puck crosses their bluline the play begins and the clock started.
The reason for this is that a team should not have a 50% chance of getting the puck back after they've just iced the puck to relieve offensive pressure against them.( remove the redline to eliminate the two line pass icing).
What do think?:)

Worm,
That sounds interesting. It would definitely require more skill than someone just being able to slap it the length of the ice.

The word on Steve Moore is that he has fractured vertebrae (2 of them) in his neck along with several facial lacerations. Also, the Vancouver PD are trying to decide whether to investigate the incident.

This is all really a shame for the true hockey fans...:(

john

It should be investigated by the police,The Brashear-McSorley incident went to court.IMHO This incident was more serios as Brutuzzi pushed Moore into the ice.In Brashear's case he hit his headon the ice.This was a case of a player wearinghis chin strap like a necklace,If Brashear had his hemet on correctly he prolly would not hace concussed.
Moore didn't stand a chance and the guy will prolly never play hockey again.

Alan

P.s. You and I can't assault someone like that and get away with it,a rink shouldn't be a sanctuary

Alan

Hockey should have more cheap shots, that would lead to more fights! Also hockey ending in a tie is gayfor as hell. All ties should be settled in a shootout like when I play NHL 2002 on my PC!

I thought it was a rough sport to begin with. I hope my kids don't get involved with hockey. (Better another sport- something safer at least)

Why does there need to be all the cheap shots taken? Don't these players get enough money to just play the sport.

Originally posted by Mrs. Kamakiri
I thought it was a rough sport to begin with. I hope my kids don't get involved with hockey. (Better another sport- something safer at least)

Why does there need to be all the cheap shots taken? Don't these players get enough money to just play the sport.

The problem starts in bantam hockey,the players are taught that they are protected by all the equipment.So what if a stick bounces off of your head ,you have a helmet!
As a player progresses through the ranks,two things happen 1) he becomes a skilled player or 2) he becomes an enforcer.
Hockey is an emotional sport,you are fighting for a puck while some guy is washing your face with a wet,sweaty glove.The natural thing is too retaliate.
most of the time the cheap shots are delivered by the visor-wearing player onto the skilled visor-less player.All players should wear visors to protect their eyes.however the argrument is all sticks would be up in the air.
Hockey is a safe sport,Mrs K, if all the ducks\pucks are in a row.The problem is that the cleanliness of the sport in the 1960's has been soiled by politics,rules, and the Saturation of the NHL by too many teams making it easier for Joe Average-Player to break into the sport.
End of Explanation

Alan

Yeah and it sucks too, needs more fighting!!

If a hockey was like the movie slap shot it would be worth watching :p:

Originally posted by THOR
Hockey should have more cheap shots, that would lead to more fights! Also hockey ending in a tie is gayfor as hell. All ties should be settled in a shootout

Thats how they should settle ties .....have them all DUKE IT OUT rite there on the ice...in one great big grand finale!!!!!:twak: :bash: :boxing: :whip: :starwars:

I stopped watching hockey years ago. There are too many multimillionaire punks on skates.

I will likely never again be a fan simply because I enjoy hockey and cannot be bothered watching thuggery. If and when the game outlaws this kind of BS. I may start watching it but I doubt that will ever come to pass because goon gangs are more saleable than hockey teams.

Sadly this thugee mentality has permeated the game all the way down to the kid's teams to the extent that parents have been known to jump onto the ice and assault referees and linesmen because the officials have made what the parents consider bad calls.

Hockey ?? ..... Nothing more than WWF on skates. If the nhl were to disband tomorrow it would be too soon for me.

I hope that stupid slob is not only barred from the game permanently but subjected to arrest and trial and imprisonment as he so richly deserves....As any of us not having the so-called excuse of being a "Professional" would rightly face.

"WWF on skates" ?

You would really have something there!!! Someone call Vince McMahon!!!

Thanks Mrs. Kam!

Back
Top Bottom