SAE 2400 amp off to Echowars

Discussion in 'Packing & Shipping' started by Wardsweb, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Wardsweb

Wardsweb Behind The Curtain Staff Member Admin

Yet another one of my many packing jobs. This one done entirely with high density foam in a 275# double wall box. Because it is a bit of a jig saw puzzle I labled pieces for when Echowars has to put it back together. Normally I would just use one solid piece across the top, but I was running out of foam and had to use pieces.

Attached Files:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. EchoWars

EchoWars Hiding in Honduras

Too bad that type of foam is so damn expensive...works great.

3. Wardsweb

Being Operations Manager at my work has it's benefits. Shipping and Receiving falls under my management. We get this stuff in units shipped to us by our contract manufacturer. Rather than throw it away, I just bring it home. :D

4. Wardsweb

Oh by the way Echo, the paperwork, schmatics, tech bulletin, etc... are in a folder under the first layer of foam. You can't miss it.

5. EchoWars

Rgr that.

6. pustelniakr

pustelniakr Silver Miner at Large Staff Member Super Mod Subscriber

I was going to ask where to get some of that nice foam. I guess I'll just have to "go fish." :tears:

Nice packing job. It ought to get there :thmbsp:

Rich P

7. Wardsweb

Hey Echo why not post a couple pics when you have the amp open for all to see?

8. EchoWars

Consider it done...

9. vintagfan12

vintagfan12 New Member

wow perfect job.now i know how my 2600 is going thanks...where did you get that foam,,,cant find that stuff....thanks in advanced

10. Jack the Re

Jack the Re Active Member

I agree that is a nice packing job. I recently bought a KA7300 and the shipper just wrapped it in bubble wrap.. One of the back legs was bent, I fixed that.

The volumn control was loose and the know was jammed on. I had to pry it off, carefully. I tighened up the nut for the volumn control. I haven't listened to the amp yet, but i checked the dc offset and it was acceptable.

I think I will see if it works tonite. I work at a hospital and I check for that nice foam. Just yesterday I was disposing of boxes that new iv pumps came in. I could not throw the high densisty foam away. Even though the pieces are 8x8 inches 2 inches tall you can piece them together.

I bought a KA5500 for 51 dollars with shipping. The seller double boxed it, and did a great job. I emailed him to let him know that i appreciated his effort to protect my purchase.

A KA501 that was shipped the seller used the cheaper white foam (no double box). He cut out a circle for the big volumn knob, which I also let him know that I appreicated a good job in packing. [​IMG]

11. theoman

theoman Confused Member Subscriber

I've been using the pink panther isolation foam thats 9.99 from home depot.
    Its 8x10

12. audiobiker

audiobiker Gonna be Famous

i have been wondering where to get foam for packing...thanks guys! i will go buy Home depot and get some soon :yes:

13. EchoWars

I don't know if the 'Pink Panther' stuff is the super-rigid stuff or not, but if so it is not appropriate for packing as it has no real compressability and will do little to absorb the energy of impacts. Lowe's sells 4' x 8' sheets of white expanded polystyrene in 1" and 1 1/2" thicknesses that has some 'give' to it (you can easily see this by squeezing it between thumb and forefinger). This stuff absorbs energy well and I've used it to ship gear all over the planet with zero incidents.

Archguy likes this.
  14. mfhale

mfhale Super Member

+1. I shipped a big Sansui amp to Boston and a its matching preamp to Anchorage using this exact stuff. It's messy, but it does the job very well.

15. audiobiker

audiobiker Gonna be Famous

Well lowes is closer to me so I might o there soon. Thanks for the info!

DNU
    Peace Out, from tapatalk
    DNU

16. Archguy

Archguy Official Roiurama Factory Rep Subscriber

Can't be repeated often enough. I keep encountering shippers who use that expanding packing foam stuff that hardens just short of concrete. There's no 'give' so any shocks the package receives are transmitted directly to the component. The softer the foam the better, up to a point of course.