SAE Mark 1B Preamp troubleshoot

That is correct, no amp connected no headphones. The main outs should work normally.

Craig

I realize this is years too late for the OP, but I have an SAE Mark 1M preamp (pretty much the same as the 1B but with VU meters instead of an EQ) which had the exact same symptom - no sound/output whatsoever, despite cleaning all controls and the power clearly working.

The solution in my case was to insert shorting pins into the Phono 2 inputs, or simply plug a turntable into either Phono input. (It probably doesn’t even need to be a turntable; any old interconnect, whether attached to a source or not, plugged into either Phono input should do the trick.)

So for anyone with an SAE Mark 1-series preamp with no output, I would try this as a first step in troubleshooting (besides cleaning the controls, which they all seem to need desperately at this point in time).

I realize this is years too late for the OP, but I have an SAE Mark 1M preamp (pretty much the same as the 1B but with VU meters instead of an EQ) which had the exact same symptom - no sound/output whatsoever, despite cleaning all controls and the power clearly working.

The solution in my case was to insert shorting pins into the Phono 2 inputs, or simply plug a turntable into either Phono input. (It probably doesn’t even need to be a turntable; any old interconnect, whether attached to a source or not, plugged into either Phono input should do the trick.)

So for anyone with an SAE Mark 1-series preamp with no output, I would try this as a first step in troubleshooting (besides cleaning the controls, which they all seem to need desperately at this point in time).

Had one of these as well and could never get it to work properly on both channels. Occasionally got sound from one side. Tried Deoxit and after checking every single IC could not find any faulty ones. Got so frustrated I tossed it.

X10 button can cause fits, can be very difficult to get cleaned even with Deoxit. I had one drenched in it for over a day and worked the switch close to 50 times to get it working.

Back
Top Bottom