Safely Operating! And now...

ryandcoke

Just got my G-9700 back from the tech shop after over a week on the bench. Right output channel blown. Couldn't wait to get it home and fire it up -even gave some of my old vinyl a good dusting off last night- and hear what I'd been missing for so many years. The result: Not bad, not great. The right speaker seems afflicted with some crackling that I don't remember. It's just evident enough to muck up the sound of any music coming through. Any thoughts? My speakers have been in daily use with my Yamaha theatre receiver (and with 12 gauge cabling), so I know they're not the culprit. Also, there seems to be a good deal of white noise coming from both speakers, even with the volume at zero. I sort of remember this from before, and I know you don't notice it at high volumes, but... :)

If you've ruled out the speaker, the next thing I'd do is hook up a cd player. You'll be using a different input, and if you still have noise, well, your "tech" didn't do a very good job.

You may find this thread of interest:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5634

Good luck!
Ed

Originally posted by ryandcoke
Just got my G-9700 back from the tech shop after over a week on the bench. Right output channel blown. Couldn't wait to get it home and fire it up -even gave some of my old vinyl a good dusting off last night- and hear what I'd been missing for so many years. The result: Not bad, not great. The right speaker seems afflicted with some crackling that I don't remember. It's just evident enough to muck up the sound of any music coming through. Any thoughts? My speakers have been in daily use with my Yamaha theatre receiver (and with 12 gauge cabling), so I know they're not the culprit. Also, there seems to be a good deal of white noise coming from both speakers, even with the volume at zero. I sort of remember this from before, and I know you don't notice it at high volumes, but... :)

Yep look at that thread and if you have a multimeter, run the test. It's simple enough to do.

The other suggestion is a good one also. that will eliminate the TT as the source.

Hmmm, if you havent had it hooked up in a while, is there a ground wire from the TT to the amp? I seem to recall forgetting that once, and didn't like the results.

Hope my multimeter skills are up to par. It would appear that the left channel settled around 30mV. I had to change the setting to measure the right channel... about 350mV. Oddly enough, the sound isn't as bad after a few plays and the crackling has dissipated (though there has been a few *pops*, not unlike those heard on a dusty record. Problem is, I was listening to the radio...). Obviously the extreme ratio between the two channel outputs explains the problem more or less to a tee. Right channel louder than the left, high frequencies distorting while lower frequencies are fine. Thanks for the heads-up on the forum, I guess my friend at the shop is going to have a 100 pound paperweight for another week...

The guy told me he was the Factory Tech in the 80s, and I'd like to think he wasn't a butcher, but who knows how long it's been since he had one of these things on his bench! I'll give him one more try to refresh his memory (after all, I already paid him, so all of this is warranty work:) ). If he can't get it working right, the least he can do is give me my $$ back so I can use it to cover the shipping...

Back
Top Bottom