Salvation Army find: PL15Dii - $30

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by Fury161, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Fury161

Fury161 New Member

You ever get that nagging feeling telling you to go check out a particular store? I had that feeling and went to check out the local thrifty and came across this beauty. I almost didn't see her cause someone had put her by the crockpots but that wood grain caught my eye. I didn't really check it out too much in the store cause I knew the dust cover (which is in great shape) alone would fetch more than that if I had to part it out. Got it home and threw it on the workbench when it started to dawn on me, this thing is in freaking great shape! The belt was shot, and it needs a new stylus but the motor spins and all the auto return gears operates as they should. Scroe!!!

I know its not a high end model but I've been looking for a Pioneer TT to go with my SA-9100 and this thing is minty! Suffice it to say, I'm glad I listened to that little voice!

20190109_201541.jpg 20190109_201553.jpg

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019 at 8:31 AM
    boza, kydog, Bdbras84 and 4 others like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Route 66

Route 66 AK Subscriber Subscriber

That model was my first 'real' turntable back in the '70s!

It's good to be able to see one again. :thumbsup:

Fury161 likes this.
  3. Fury161

Fury161 New Member

And I just got a chance to pull out the headshell. It came with a Pickering XV15. The stylus is crushed but I'm thinking it's worth replacing given how minty the rest of the unit is.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019 at 8:54 AM
  4. peerson

peerson Well-Known Member

Great SCROE!

Fury161 likes this.
  5. Fury161

Fury161 New Member

IKR??? I've been on a roll lately. I'm real happy about this, someone loved this baby and I'm falling for her too...

On that note, I wouldn't mind touching up the veneer a bit. On speakers, I'd just use some Restor-a-finish. But I'm not too familiar with the finish on TT's. Any reason that would not work or wouldn't be advisable?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019 at 8:54 AM
  6. RobRoy

RobRoy It's just stuff - but fun

In today's market, that is a steal! Well done. A true classic as well. Those were the very early Pioneer years.

Fury161 likes this.

7. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

I'd clean off old grease, relube, perhaps consider new interconnects (or not!) and enjoy a lovely find.

8. Fury161

Fury161 New Member

Totally. The new belt should be here Mon or Tues. That gives me the weekend to give the old girl a trip to the spa (workbench) for a freshen-up.

9. peerson

A common issue encountered when replacing the belts on these is that the speed will be a little fast due to the belt being slightly too thick. If this is the case, you can put a layer or two of electrical tape on the platter (where the belt rides) to slow it down a bit. Otherwise, you will need to source a new belt that is the correct thickness. This is what I did with my PL12DII to good result. Been running this way for a couple of years with no problems.

Fury161 likes this.
  10. Van_Isle

Van_Isle AK Subscriber Subscriber

Nice find! Great cartridge.

Fury161 likes this.
  11. audiojones

audiojones Jonesin' for audio Subscriber

Yep, had the same thing happen here with a couple of PL12DII tables. I tried a few different sources for belts but they all made the platter run a little too fast no matter who supplied them (and the suppliers all insisted that they had the "correct" belt that wouldn't cause speed issues) so I ended up using tape to make the platter diameter a little bigger, works fine. Still have one of the PL12DII tables here and it's nice, but the PL15DII is even better with the automatic return. Great score IMO!

Fury161 likes this.

12. IMF_Pioneer

IMF_Pioneer Active Member

Some years ago I also managed to pick up a PL-15 but with the Optional upgraded Pioneer arm in the same way as the OP did and I've still got that same table locked away somewhere in a sealed box. It to will require a new belt as I'm sure the current one will have disintegrated by now due to lack of usage.

Fury161 likes this.
  13. macyjrm

macyjrm AK Subscriber Subscriber

Regarding the “veneer” finish, I think yours is most likely vinyl wrapped. I have had two PL117s pass through here and both were vinyl. So you can use something like Armor All on it. One one of mine I peeled off the vinyl to substrate and spray painted the plinth satin black. I really liked the way that turned out. Gave the TT a much more modern look.

Fury161 likes this.
  14. Fury161

Fury161 New Member

Thanks. I plan on keeping the vintage look all the way though .. lol. I gave one of the back corners a test rubdown with some restor-a-finish and it did appear to help the luster a bit. I don't have any Armor All around here but I might give that a shot as well and see which comes out better. NOt like anyone is going to see the back anyways

15. Fury161

Fury161 New Member

Hey. JUst wanted to check back in and say "thanks" for that comment. The belt came in and sure enough, it was running fast. By about 1.75%. It actually took about 5 wraps of tape but I got it down to an average speed of 33.4 RPM and I doubt I could correct it any further so I'll have to live with being 0.21% off.

Otherwise, cleaned and lubed up and running like a champ. Now to order a replacement stylus.

kydog likes this.
  16. peerson

I hope you are happy with this Pioneer. I bought my PL12DII Brand new back in '75 or '76. So, I am naturally partial to it. I use it all the time. It still looks/runs like new. I have the original Empire 66ex Cartridge on it. I replaced the stylus a couple of years ago. Although, I am not sure that it really needed it.

Fury161 likes this.

17. Fury161

Fury161 New Member

Thus far, it looks like we will be very happy together. This one has very clearly.been loved and I am a big fan of that model 70s gear. The only quirk that I've found so far is that the motor only shuts off if I press the Stop button. If I manually return the tonearm to its cradle, it will stay running. Not sure if its supposed to do that or not?