Samsung g7 to marantz 2230 low volume

Crazy Gnome

Let Love Rule
I would enjoy streaming from home more if it wasn't for this one issue. In my work truck i use a 3.5 mm aux cable to the deck and it sounds fine. Bring it home and connect using a 3.5 to rca cable and i have to turn the volume up on both the marantz and phone. Cranking up the eq settings in phone helped but not enough
My initial thought was get a dac. But not sure if that would work with this phone.
Mostly an analog man-which means digital noob- but love the selection and conveience and cost of Amazon Unlimited.

My initial thought was get a dac. But not sure if that would work with this phone.

It won't work. In a nutshell...a DAC needs a digital stream to come into it which it then 'converts' to an analog stream which you then supply to your Marantz. Your phone's output is already analog so there is nothing a DAC can do for you in this case.

The low output is due to the phone outputting a fraction of a volt where most dedicated units put out a volt or two.

You best 'as is' way to listen is to run your phone at or near full volume and let your Marantz do the rest of the work.

I stream Spotify from a cell phone to my Marantz 2220B and it works great, just turn up the phone volume all the way. As long as it is not distorting, then things are fine.

It won't work. In a nutshell...a DAC needs a digital stream to come into it which it then 'converts' to an analog stream which you then supply to your Marantz. Your phone's output is already analog so there is nothing a DAC can do for you in this case.

The low output is due to the phone outputting a fraction of a volt where most dedicated units put out a volt or two.

You best 'as is' way to listen is to run your phone at or near full volume and let your Marantz do the rest of the work.
That makes total sense now that i see it in writing. There is a sound optimization function in the settings that i did that seemed to help. Still almost to half way on the marantz and full volume on phone.
The phone came with a mini usb to usb adapter but it seems this is designed mostly for data transfer.
Multiple google searches mostly turned up problems with this phone connecting to cars via usb.
Might just be something i will have to learn to accept. Just sounds much better in the truck so thought maybe it was on the marantz side.

Is there a reason he couldn't use a little DAC connected to the USB output on his phone? I'm not entirely familiar with this model, but lots of people are using DAC's with USB inputs for just such a situation.

Is there a reason he couldn't use a little DAC connected to the USB output on his phone? I'm not entirely familiar with this model, but lots of people are using DAC's with USB inputs for just such a situation.
I finally found some useful information regarding dacs and android. This involves enabling developer options and changing the usb mode to audio. I will post the link. Its long and nerdy and aimed mostly at developers but there is a section that audiophiles will enjoy.
Audience Overview of USB Basic concepts and terminology Android USB modes
It still in theory mode but will be pursuing once i get out of the doghouse for all the records i have been bringing home lately.:)

What about a Bluetooth DAC? Assuming that's a thing (don't know much about DACs at all) then my S8+ works real well with Bluetooth speakers for audio media, so assume yours would too (probably worth a quick google to be sure though as my old Note 4 wasn't so great with them).

Back
Top Bottom