Sandui Au-317 loss of low frequencies on left channel

johncool

Hi everyone,

I've noticed my amplifier has a slight inbalance on every input. The left channel has somehow a "tiny" sound compared to the right channel, and one can notice that the low frequencies are coming mostly from the right channel.

If I turn the balance just a mark to the left it sounds better, but nowhere the ideal solution.

Where should I start looking for the problem? I have basic knowledge of electronics from my high school days and a multimeter...

Hi,

Which version (I or II) do you have? If you have the first version, you can disconnect the preamp part from the power amp and narrow the search for the problem...

Have a look at "fusistors", either version I or II, here.

is this 317 all stock or have you updated it?

reason for asking is I have worked on several 317s and 217s. A few of them have had so much factory glue on them that the glue ate through the cap leads.

One channel was completely dead. Once the glue was removed and cap replaced, the channel came back to life.

so if yours is all stock, removing glue and partial recap may be worthwhile before you get too far into it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have the MK I version and I realised that the problem wasn't in the amplifier, but instead in one of my Tannoys (MX4 model) I have a faulty woofer that stopped working.

Does anyone, by any chance, know where can I get a replacement (preferably in Europe)?

Back
Top Bottom