SandyG status update!

Tech Support: Almost sounds like the computer isn't receiving any power. Is it plugged in, or maybe on a power strip that accidentally got switched off?

Customer: I'll get a flashlight and check...

Tech Support: A flashlight?

Customer: Yeah, the plug is behind the desk and with the power out it's a little hard to see back there.

"Computer Technical support; may I help you?"

"Yes, well, I'm having trouble with WordPerfect."

"What sort of trouble?"

"Well, I was just typing along, and all of a sudden the words went away."

"Went away?"

"They disappeared."

"Hmm. So what does your screen look like now?"

"Nothing."

"Nothing?"

"It's blank; it won't accept anything when I type."

"Are you still in WordPerfect, or did you get out?"

"How do I tell?"

"Can you see the C:\ prompt on the screen?"

"What's a sea-prompt?"

"Never mind. Can you move the cursor around on the screen?"

"There isn't any cursor: I told you, it won't accept anything I type."

"Does your monitor have a power indicator?"

"What's a monitor?"

"It's the thing with the screen on it that looks like a TV. Does it have a little light that tells you when it's on?"

"I don't know."

"Well, then look on the back of the monitor and find where the power cord goes into it. Can you see that?"

....."Yes, I think so."

"Great! Follow the cord to the plug, and tell me if it's plugged into the wall."

....."Yes, it is."

"When you were behind the monitor, did you notice that there were two cables plugged into the back of it, not just one?"

"No."

"Well, there are. I need you to look back there again and find the other cable."

....."Okay, here it is."

"Follow it for me, and tell me if it's plugged securely into the back of your computer."

"I can't reach it."

"Uh huh. Well, can you see if it is?"

"No."

"Even if you maybe put your knee on something and lean way over?"

"Oh, it's not because I don't have the right angle-it's because it's dark."

"Dark?"

"Yes-the office light is off, and the only light I have is coming in from the window."

"Well, turn on the office light then."

"I can't."

"No? Why not?"

"Because there's a power outage."

"A power... A power outage? Aha! Okay, we've got it licked now. Do you still have the boxes and manuals and packing stuff your computer came in?"

"Well, yes. I keep them in the closet."

"Good! Go get them and unplug your system and pack it up just like it was when you got it. Then take it back to the store you bought it from."

"Really! Is it that bad?"

"Yes, I'm afraid it is."

"Well, all right then, I suppose. What do I tell them?"

"Tell them you're too stupid to own a computer."

He's just up the road from some pretty significant forest fires, so he might be otherwise occupied.
On the computer front, it sounds like a waterproof keyboard would be a good investment.
And as I recall, this is not the first go-round on the computer stuff. Maybe it's time for a Chromebook, or a gently-used Mac. Lots to go wrong with Windows machines, and their prevalence makes them a big hack/virus target.

Chip

I talked to Sandy the other night :)

He said he spilled some soda in his keyboard and it started having problems from then...... I suggested taking the keyboard and running warm water thru its tray (I have done that) and it usually works well....... He said he was gonna try and take it to a repair guy soon....... I hope to see him back soon!!

He said he spilled some soda in his keyboard and it started having problems from then...... I suggested taking the keyboard and running warm water thru its tray (I have done that) and it usually works well....... He said he was gonna try and take it to a repair guy soon....... I hope to see him back soon!!
Good to hear he is still kicking .

YES - send him a keyboard to start!

He's just up the road from some pretty significant forest fires, so he might be otherwise occupied.
On the computer front, it sounds like a waterproof keyboard would be a good investment.
And as I recall, this is not the first go-round on the computer stuff. Maybe it's time for a Chromebook, or a gently-used Mac. Lots to go wrong with Windows machines, and their prevalence makes them a big hack/virus target.

Chip

But if he's used to Windows computers, it might be easier for him to just stay with something running XP or Win7.

If its a laptop, then the Coke can do wonders to the motherboard underneath, been there, done that a couple of times, one full motherboard replacement, and another scrapped.

Personally, I think 4-2-7 and others have the right idea, we send via Secret Santa a new fully ready PC or laptop to Sandy with Wi-Fi and Ethernet connectivity, a spare USB keyboard (for outboard use and backup), a couple of wireless mice, and a big holiday gift basket to him and Laurie Ann from Costco. Hell, we can send him multiple gift baskets and a second backup computer for the family. He can protest, spit, and get ornery, but he won't not accept a gift, IMO.

Besides, he sends it back, we'll send him 3 more! God knows I probably have at least 2 used PC's and couple of laptops I could send right now.

I say send it ASAP, I know where some funds are or could be raised.

"Better to seek forgiveness than to ask permission"

Computers are evil in their diversity . In the old days , we could have just sent him a phone .

91ce5e44449150744238b85f01d12ffb.jpg

I know , the look on Sandy's face if he knew we were fussin' 'bout him . "grin"

That would work, for SandyG, no laptop for him but Panasonic ToughBook full rugged models, think CF30 or CF31 class for him, the R-390A of laptops.

That's why I got the Azio...it's rugged. Hefty with a metal top (gunmetal grey to match his Uzi :D). Mechanical keys like an old IBM. It has a sweet, roller volume control for the audio type.

Anybody willing to match $10.00 ? If I get six pledges, I'll cover the difference. We'd need to use PayPal gifting.

Do we have a shipping address ? We could ship it to his wife, and she could surprise him.

The TG3s have those under the key caps, and above the keys. The key shafts are pretty well sealed, and the holes in the membrane are up high anyway.

I have a TG3 from a cop car. They use them in mobile settings, and wet locations.

Is Bugtussle anywhere near Gatlinburg? :idea: What about Poovie Mae and the chillum?! :p

He's a safe distance from the Gatlinburg fire. There were some fires in his county in the first half of November on Bays Mountain. Besides the fires themselves, the problem in this area has been air quality; the smoke from the forest fires settles down into the valleys and it has been hard on folks with lung issues.

Back
Top Bottom