SandyG status update!

I have the same question as EW.

Willing to chip in for new gear for an AKer Emeritus, but it seems we have several ideas on exactly what to send: Cheap used keyboard, new ruggedized keyboard, used computer, new computer.

Computers are evil in their diversity . In the old days , we could have just sent him a phone .

91ce5e44449150744238b85f01d12ffb.jpg

I know , the look on Sandy's face if he knew we were fussin' 'bout him . "grin"

This phone looks very surprised.

Missing the point here...I'd be curious to know why a component that costs less than dinner at Denny's has kept him from getting online for weeks at a time.

If its a laptop keyboard, liquids spilled on the keyboard will percolate down through them, they aren't sealed internally or below. The soda (or in my case, my daughter getting sick over my laptop) goes right on down into the motherboard where it can predictably short out many components, not to mention just corrode stuff unless you power down immediately, and are knowledgeable about disassembly, cleaning, and still you may be screwed.

If its a regular wired keyboard to a PC, usually that just results in damage to the keyboard, at worst, maybe to the USB port too.

If it was me, I'd rather send a relatively inexpensive keyboard and have a few around.

Willing to chip in for new gear for an AKer Emeritus, but it seems we have several ideas on exactly what to send: Cheap used keyboard, new ruggedized keyboard, used computer, new computer.

True, true, we need a bit more detail, which I'm afraid Sandy won't divulge. So we just send him both a new keyboard (which he can use outboard with anything and actually might be easier for them ham fisted fingers we all get) and whatever kind of laptop or PC we decide on.

mech986 wrote: "But if he's used to Windows computers, it might be easier for him to just stay with something running XP or Win7."

I hear you, but XP is not going to be a safe haven from viruses. I don't think there's a bigger target out there, aside from IoT.

Chip

A decent Linux distro with a modest computer could serve him well, but not if he needs software that is only available for windows. I am a huge fan of chrome os/linux. We have a $150 chrome book from Walmart that my wife has used daily for a year now with no issues. It is a little small for large hands/vision concerns.

Count me in with you and EW. I've been following this thread from the start, and I'm a little confused on what Sandy "might" need. Guess we'll never know until we hear it straight from him.

Doh....Sandy's excuse is good enough for me.

Maybe he can't type standing up, and he doesn't want us to know why he can't sit down :dunno:

Point being, some things just can't be shared with everybody.

((( I hope he thinks that's funny, if and when he reads it. )))

Last edited:
A keyboard? I must have a couple of spares kicking around here, and I'm sure others do too.

PS/2 or USB? We should just mail him one, or two fir that matter...

We're without Sandy's witty rejoinder, but we can take advantage of the extensive canon of gen-yew-wine Sandy G material here at AK.

For example, since we're speaking of His Majesty's caboose, I found the following on that topic which you all may find edifying. Or at least amusing.

"Like I said elsewhere, I'm constantly AMAZED at the amount of TROUBLE a fella can get into, just minding his own Beeswax... And how often, YOU play fair & square, yet NOBODY else does... The SAME insurance co, has my house.. We had a LOT of ice damage... the guttering was torn off the front of the house, & along the garage. A guy came by ystrday, & "Inspected" it. He told my wife we had a $2500 deductible... Today he called back, & said, our "Damage" was only amounted to $ 2100. Thank you VERY much.. If I could find a REPUTABLE company who'd repair my roof for $2100, I would HAPPILY Kiss the Rear Ends of the assembled multitude of AKers, in front of my county's court house, at high noon on a Wednesday of your choosing, & furthermore, would give you an hour to draw a crowd..."

Emphasis added. :rflmao:

I'm pretty damn sur it has nothing to do with AK or any issues here. We have been friends on FB for some time and he has been absent there as well. I will try to call him and shake his ass up.

Back
Top Bottom