Sansui 1000 FM Drift

mc1822d

My Sansui 1000 is drifting off frequency and I have to re-tune every 15 or 20 minutes. Is just a matter of having it re-aligned or is it something more serious? :dunno:

Is just a matter of having it re-aligned

I don't believe alignment will help with drift. I think it might be worth a try to clean the tuning capacitor as described in a "sticky" in this forum. It's here:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-clean-a-tuner-analog.144163/

If that doesn't help, then I'd have to guess that a component in the local oscillator is changing value with temperature. I think you would need a serious tunermeister to address that.

Good luck,

chazix

Oh, just checked and I see that that the 1000 (or 1000A, but not 1000X) is a tubed design. It does have an AFC (automatic frequency control) circuit, and furthermore, it is user-switchable. You wouldn't happen to have the band selector set to "AFC OFF", I don't suppose? Anyway, this opens the possibility that there might just be something wrong with the AFC circuit, which might be easier to fix compared to tracking down a drifting component.

I forgot to mention that it is a 1000X. :oops: No switchable AFC. I will probably take the receiver to a shop that has a very good rep in repairing vintage audio gear that is about a half hour drive from me!

Back
Top Bottom