Sansui 1000 tube receiver (not 1000A)

artclone

I have a Sansui 1000 - - the original version with the broadcast-type output tubes. I have a NOS set of tubes for it, but haven't installed them because one of the existing power tubes starts to glow bright red when I turn it on. It works though. The amp has a huge wood cabinet with it.

I'm sure needs all the original oil caps replaced.

My question is: is it worth it? I know that if it were a 1000A it would be, but I can't find any info on this one. Has anyone compared the two amps?

Any advice appreciated.

Artclone

is it worth it?
Are you going to repair it or pay a pro?
Are you going to use it a lot?
Important considerations for a good answer. :)
IE: If you pay someone else to do a proper job it most likely to cost at least twice what you could re-coup to just turn it over.

Carl

Sansui tube 1000

I would do the work myself. I was just wondering if anyone had heard this amp. The fact that it uses 25E5 (transmitter?) power tubes piques my interest.

I have a Sansui 1000. It is a very good-sounding receiver. My advice is fix it, enjoy it, and someday others will figure out what a cool unit it is. Until then, you can be one of the few who know.

its a rare one.
made only one year iirc.
i have seviced dozens of 1000a but only 1 1000
i might be able to get 25e5 tubes if you need them.

artclone said:
I have a Sansui 1000 - - the original version with the broadcast-type output tubes. I have a NOS set of tubes for it, but haven't installed them because one of the existing power tubes starts to glow bright red when I turn it on. It works though. The amp has a huge wood cabinet with it.

I'm sure needs all the original oil caps replaced.

My question is: is it worth it? I know that if it were a 1000A it would be, but I can't find any info on this one. Has anyone compared the two amps?

Any advice appreciated.

Artclone
Sansui tube receivers? Very famous for their high quality output transformers. The only problem is, normally they are fitted with those, grey colored paper in oil capacitors for all sort of audio circuits. If so. I would quickly do a re-cap to replace them. Otherwise, the leaky current can easily kill the big dropper resistors in the power supply chain, and they are almost impossible to get exact replacement parts!
I will definite get it restored, play and enjoy it. Selling it later if you don't want to keep it and make a profit!!!!!
Mc

According to the Sansui database, the Sansui 1000 has drawn top dollars recently with a high of $249 US. So, it certainly has value.

The Sansui 1000A, by comparison, has reached $360 US on eBay.

Paul

Tube Radio said:
Which is the best one 1000 or 1000A
1000A :thmbsp:
1000A (SAX-1000) was the last, and probably one of the most perfected Sansui tube receivers.

The 25E5 tube isn't THAT hard to find - look also for PL36, the European number. $6.30 each at AES. But as recommended above, change out those caps!

Tom Bavis said:
The 25E5 tube isn't THAT hard to find - look also for PL36, the European number. $6.30 each at AES. But as recommended above, change out those caps!
One left of PL36 at www.woodang.net for $4.00 but shipping cost increase
the price above $6.30 :mad:

Back
Top Bottom