Sansui 1000a or HH Scott 299C

playittwice

Which would be a better choice, cost wise and sonic wise?

Sansui is $1100 US dollars
Scott is $1500 US dollars

Both said to be restored.

The Sansui 1000a is an integrated AM/FM receiver, that uses transistors in the phono section, and solid state rectifier. The Scott 299c is an integrated amplifier that is all tube, including the phono section, with tube rectification. The output transformers on the Sansui are said to be excellent, made by Hashimoto. Both at this point in time would need COMPLETE restorations, meaning every old capacitor including the cans replaced, resistors checked for drift, solder joints re-flowed, tube pin contacts inspected and cleaned, etc etc. I have seen some of the very incomplete messes done to some of these amps, so I would have a really good look at the work and description, and just who did the job. My choice would be for the Scott 299c, which I find easier to work on, less complicated without the tuner, and has a better phono section. I have had Scott 299c amps in the past, that worked with partial restoration, but just purchased one restored by NOS Valves some years ago, excellent work done.

but just purchased one restored by NOS Valves some years ago, excellent work done.

You can purchase directly from Craig? Dumb question, I know, but thought I'd ask.

I found mine on eBay, they pop up now and then. NOS Valves, as far as I know, does not keep a stock of amps for sale. You would be sending your amp to him for a rebuild. At the high asking price for the Scott amp that you mentioned, it should be in excellent cosmetic condition and should have been done by a professional.

That amp looks like everything that should be replaced, has been replaced. It appears that the can capacitors have been replaced with new ones from Hayseed Hamfest, who custom builds can capacitors, very nice. The green coupling capacitors appear to be Russian paper in oil, a worthwhile upgrade. So yes, looks like a very desirable amp. Are you able to make the drive and have a listen?

Yes I can make the trek to audition.
In your opinion is vintage the route to take vs say a new kit?
I know it’s all subjective, Ivey been into this for 40 years and you get 40 years worth of opinions. Just wondering since I haven’t had the chance to do much comparing. Heard lots of great things about the Fisher and Scott vintage stuff though.

I’m for the Scott as well. Nothing like American iron. And no one I know can work on the Sansui, but plenty of people work on Scott and Fisher. If looking for new in that price range, some people go for Bob Latino’s DIY kits...depends on how much power you need as well....

So I’m going to ask you tube guys this: what would be a fair offer for the Scott? 1500 seems high doesn’t it?

So I’m going to ask you tube guys this: what would be a fair offer for the Scott? 1500 seems high doesn’t it?
$1500 seems way high, IMHO. It's value to me would be less than $1k, more specifically between $700-$800. If the local guy is firm on his price, or won't budge much, there's a fully restored LK-72B on Audiogon for $750 + shipping. It's been listed for a few weeks, so the seller may be willing to negotiate.

I've had and restored a Sansui 1000A with some simple mods and I'm no electronic wiz just careful so any tech worth his salt should be able to do one. The prices for both are outrageous. The Sansui was the best 7591 amp I personally have heard and I've had 3 or 4. The Sansui would be the cheaper option and I don't think you'd lose anything sonically and the iron is as good as anyone could hope for.

Last edited:
Cosmetics play a big role at this point in time. The Scott amp has very good cosmetics, I would expect to pay a premium for that. Now look around, how many other fully restored Scott 299c amps do we find? In this amp, seller has gone all out on the restoration. But, I always ask myself, can I sell it for the same price I paid for it, if need be? Bottom line, if you really want it, commit to it and dig in for some negotiation, dont wait too long. It might be hard to believe, but there are people out there that will pay the asking price for something they want, because they have the money, lots of money. I have lost many deals because of that, someone came along and chopped off my negotiating feet out from under me. However, if you can do some restoration work yourself, you will of course save big money, and have lots of help from AK members. I paid just under 600 for my restored amp, but it did not have quite the complete restoration that this one you are looking at does. Around 800 would be a good price in my mind, but under a grand I do not think would be bad.

Last edited:
That’s what I was thinking as well as far as price point. (Under a grand).
I do have a question regarding this amp. Does it have a upgrade for ease of biasing?

If you’re interested in in taking a peek at the Sansui, it is also listed on Chicago C/L. It looks very nice, but it is a receiver, which doesn’t matter to me other than more wiring to work around, when repair is needed.

I see the Chicago CL has a Fisher KX-200. I restored one and to be blunt hated it and actually the worst of the 7591's I owned. The other one I restored was a Eico ST70 which was a nice amp. I'm going to interject another opinion. Do you need the 7591 power. If not I've found for me a 6BQ5 amp is a much more musical sounding amp and the Pilot 602 I restored was amazing with the best sound stage of any amp or receiver I've ever owned and one I wish I still had. One of the few times in listening where the wife and I sat there slack jawed in awe of the sound washing over us. The Pilot was also loaded with Telefunken and Bugle Boy which didn't hurt but I also ran Telefunken's, Mullards, Bugle Boys, RCAs in my amps.

Thanks for the opinions, I all ears to this great learning foray into tubes. To give a little background of what I’m contemplating, I just got a SET amp a couple months ago, and I’m really liking the 1.8 Watts it puts out. So no power is not a priority at all. I have two systems and would like to add tubes to the second one. I thought singing already have a SE amp, maybe a PP would be a nice route to take to experience both examples. I know nothing about tubes as far as which ones to go with for power, but I’m learning fast! This is really nice to have input from so many different aspects and takes on which is preferred. So to sum it up I guess I’m open to suggestions, unfortunately this thread kind of got de-railed a bit from the original question. I don’t mind as long as you folks don’t.

Thanks for the comments/suggestions. I want to do it as close to right the first time as I can. But don’t we all!

Just to add, the speakers I’m using will be K-horns.

If their efficiency is 105 6BQ5 amps of 15 to 17 watts would drive them easily to quite loud levels

If their efficiency is 105 6BQ5 amps of 15 to 17 watts would drive them easily to quite loud levels

Okay, so now what do you suggest to keep an eye out for? Sorry, Im getting my ideas from what I read. Thats what got me on this route I guess,

Thanks

There is no order to these picks
Pilot
Scott
Dynaco: which you can buy in kit form and is said to be easy to assemble or you can buy the vintage version.

They can usually be had cheaper than they're bigger brothers and the output tubes tend to be cheaper. They pilots are usually the pricey ones of this bunch unless it's a receiver. If you haven't subscribed to AK you should. That will give you access to Barter Town where you can put a wanted to buy ad for the piece of equipment you would like. It won't take long before you get offers to look at and a lot of the prices are very reasonable. Much more so than those Craigslist ads you're looking at better than eBay too. I bought and sold on Bartertown and it's been a very good place to buy equipment.

I see the Chicago CL has a Fisher KX-200. I restored one and to be blunt hated it and actually the worst of the 7591's I owned. The other one I restored was a Eico ST70 which was a nice amp. I'm going to interject another opinion. Do you need the 7591 power. If not I've found for me a 6BQ5 amp is a much more musical sounding amp and the Pilot 602 I restored was amazing with the best sound stage of any amp or receiver I've ever owned and one I wish I still had. One of the few times in listening where the wife and I sat there slack jawed in awe of the sound washing over us. The Pilot was also loaded with Telefunken and Bugle Boy which didn't hurt but I also ran Telefunken's, Mullards, Bugle Boys, RCAs in my amps.
All true to me as well. Over the years I have learned the Fisher KX-200 does not seem to offer the same sound as other 7591 amps. I also have an Eico st70, it is not fully rebuilt, but working good, and that one is a keeper. The 6bq5 / el84 tube is a 9 pin pentode, and is a favorite, very musical and enjoyable. My Scott 222c uses them. If you are powering efficient K-horns, you might be better served with musical flavor from a Scott or Dynaco or Pilot or Fisher amp that uses 6bq5 / EL84 tubes.

Back
Top Bottom