Sansui 1000A power resistor question

gkargreen

Continuing to dig into this beautiful, ran into a bigger problem, seems like resistor R179 is shot. This is problematic as it is really two WW resistors in one package, although you can't tell by either the schematic or the pictorial view, both show one resistor in that WW package when it is obviously two resistors. Does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement? These are big 30w honking WW resistors!

this dual section power problem is very common for the 1000a.
as i recalled. the 1K section usually still ok. The 600 ohm is is the one busted.
keep the 1 k section on the same location. just replace the 600 ohm busted section with an
equivalent resistor and mount it under the chassis near the original location.

Thanks Larry, I think I will use your approach and just replace all three, sounds like it worked very well for your situation, which is the same for me too!

OK, seems I read somewhere that the 600 ohm section of this resistor is only dissipating around 5 watts, the voltage drop across it is around 50vdc (this is the plate-to-screen dropping resistor) and that a 10 watter should do the trick. Does this sound correct? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom