Sansui 1000x Tape Monitor Switch - Help Please!

Airjmax

I have a very nice 1000x, but the output to the speakers isn't working properly. I noticed that if I work the Tape Monitor switch, the channels crackle, but will play properly for a time. I opened the case to Deoxit the switches, but I don't see a way to introduce the contact cleaner. I have included photos of the switches from the inside and outside of the case. I do see a tiny slot in the back of the switch - is that where the inside of the switch is accessed for spraying the Deoxit? I appreciate any help you AK masters (I'm pretty much a noob). Thanks!fullsizeoutput_781.jpeg fullsizeoutput_782.jpeg

I think those thin slots on the bottom are there to help you spray some cleaner into the switch, but you'll probably need to toggle it back and forth while you squirt inside. If that fails...

Move the lever to off, then bend the metal tabs (long nose pliers or thin flat screw driver) and slowly pull out the bottom. Take photos for reference of what comes out. There's very small and thin springy contact leafs inserted into corresponding slots of a plastic slide assembly. This rides a rail for each row of pins and makes different contacts when you toggle the lever. Make note of the position of the assembly on the rails, clean up inside, deox the leafs and rails, then close up in reverse order.

Yes, get your deoxit d5 in through those slots.
Don't be afraid to flush them, just use a rag or tissue to collect the excess that will go everywhere else.
Work the switches back and forth for about 50 operations and then mop up the rest of the excess.
Repeat the operation with deoxit f5 and when done allow to dry and clean up any excess once more.
If you've done the job right you will be rewarded with fully working switches that should be good for a long, long time.
Mine have been good for over 4 years now!

One way to do this is to carefully drill a small 1/8" hole through the plastic at the top of the switch. Don't push hard. It is important the bit doesn't go through the hole and damage the switch. A small hand drill like for making models or a dremel is good for this. Can't underscore enough to be careful. Spray contact cleaner in the hole, then clean off any overspray on the switch case with rubbing alcohol so you can cover the hole with electrical tape.

A lot of people complain about the spray blast they get with the Deoxit, but this is where that comes into play. Might have to enlarge the slots a bit to get the little hose in there but that cleaner will do the job. Amazing stuff, amazing price too.

carefully drill a small 1/8" hole through the plastic
Emphasize "carefully". I did that with a 9090DB and no matter how careful I was, I got drill-dust in the switch, which got it stubborn and stuttering. I had to open it up and vacuum it. The next one I drilled with a vacuum cleaner hose attached to the bit. That one worked fine.

Back
Top Bottom