Sansui 2000A receiver advice

Jibe01

Just picked up a Sansui 2000A receiver for $45, and dropped it off at a repair shop here in Charlotte, NC that was recommended to me. According to the serial number, the unit was built in July of 1970. The unit powered up, I did not have speakers to hook it up to, so for $45, I’m taking a chance. The technician will do a diagnostic on it next week. I’m expecting it to need a recap, and have read about the need to replace the 2SC458 transistors. Are there any other issues that I should look out for when getting the 2000A refurbished?
A few other issues with the receiver:
1. Has a walnut veneer cover with some dings & scratches, which I’ll take care of myself.
2. Unit powers up. Tuner works, and the tuning knob operates fine. The dial pointer moves left & right, BUT.. only from station 108 at the far right over to abt. Station 98 to the left. Even though the tuning knob still spins, the dial pointer will not move more to the left of 98. Any ideas of a cause for this?
3. The knob for the speaker switch was missing, so the tech put a temporary on it. Can someone recommend a possible source for a replacement?
4. Lamp for the tuning meter at the far left is burnt out. I’ll be having all lamps replaced with LEDs.

Any insight or advice would be appreciated. I’m pretty excited to have this Sansui amp.
upload_2017-6-30_12-42-5.png

Just picked up a Sansui 2000A receiver for $45, and dropped it off at a repair shop here in Charlotte, NC that was recommended to me. According to the serial number, the unit was built in July of 1970. The unit powered up, I did not have speakers to hook it up to, so for $45, I’m taking a chance. The technician will do a diagnostic on it next week. I’m expecting it to need a recap, and have read about the need to replace the 2SC458 transistors. Are there any other issues that I should look out for when getting the 2000A refurbished?
A few other issues with the receiver:
1. Has a walnut veneer cover with some dings & scratches, which I’ll take care of myself.
2. Unit powers up. Tuner works, and the tuning knob operates fine. The dial pointer moves left & right, BUT.. only from station 108 at the far right over to abt. Station 98 to the left. Even though the tuning knob still spins, the dial pointer will not move more to the left of 98. Any ideas of a cause for this?
3. The knob for the speaker switch was missing, so the tech put a temporary on it. Can someone recommend a possible source for a replacement?
4. Lamp for the tuning meter at the far left is burnt out. I’ll be having all lamps replaced with LEDs.

Any insight or advice would be appreciated. I’m pretty excited to have this Sansui amp.
View attachment 959047

Hi. Congrats on the purchase! I just picked up a 2000x for $50 and it was in similar shape. My tech's philosophy is to measure the signal-to-noise ratio, total harmonic distortion, and a few other things and compare those against the original specifications. If they meet or exceed the original specs, he just cleans it up and it costs $75 for the cleaning and diagnostics. My particular unit checked out okay as far as the power amp, noise levels, etc. I had a bunch of burnt out bulbs and the same issue with the dial string. He replaced all of the bulbs with a combo of LEDs and incandescents (there was a complicated reason for this), and rewired the dial string. The whole thing cost me $125. Anyhow, it's entirely possible the caps and transistors are just fine, so you may be just fine. Good luck!

I had a 2000A for a while too but let it go last week. I had the light mod done so that no matter what function was selected, the radio dial lights remained on. I think it looked a lot better that way. Instructions here - I didn't do it myself; had my tech friend do it. They're for the 2000x, but the mod for the 2000A is the same.

The owner's manual for it is here.

Finally, some info on replacing the noisy transistors here.

Strangely, I found after having those noisy transistors replaced, the unit didn't sound as good, even without the 'windy blowing' sound gone and the noise floor as quiet as a tomb. Can't really say why though...

I have a 2000X. My tuner dial used to get stuck in the middle. I don't really listen to the radio so it doesn't get used much. To unstick it I have to open it up and gently move it along. What I do now to avoid this is periodically I just work the dial back and forth a couple of times and leave it all the way to one side. This is the key. If I leave it somewhere in the middle it will probably get stuck again. As long as I leave to one side it will work fine the next time I need to use it. This thread reminded me that it's been awhile since I worked it back and forth. I just did this and no problems.

I have a 2000, 2000A, and a 2000X. The 2sc2240 recommended in the other threads has been discontinued for a while now (that is a 10 year old thread). More current replacement is the KSC1845 for the 2sc458. 1st thing to do on the 2000A is to make sure all voltages on both PWR SUPP. boards (it's broken down into two boards) are ok, along with the Main power Filter Cap, and the output coupling caps. Fix problems then recap and install new diodes on the one board if you feel the need. Then change out all of the 2sc458's doing one board at a time, test, repeat on the next board. Replace all of the electrolytics with Nichicon UPW and UKL series caps (UPW for POWER SUPPLY, UKL for signal path). Any small uf (<4.7uf) caps can be replaced with film caps (CDE "DME" or Panasonic ECQ...Note the ECQ's are getting hard to find in some value/voltages).

IMPORTANT NOTE! SANSUI built the "A" and the "X" at the same time. So don't be surprised if you have to use both manuals to complete the work. My "A" is about 1/3 "X" boards and the "X" is approx 1/2 "A" boards. Go Figure!!!

There is a Service bulletin in the back of the "A" manual that I put on HifiEngine. It's also listed as a separate item. GET IT!
But do get both the "A" and the "X" manuals.

Caps from a "A", "X", 4000, and 5000 will fit exact. Ebay is best bet. Unless you score a parts unit on CL.

Larry

I picked up a 2000A about a year ago. Cleaned and re-lamped...Probably one of the warmest sounding receivers I have. Cannot believe it is only 35 wpc. The tuner is just simply amazing. Always thought about selling this for something else, but cannot part with it. I expect that we will see the prices starting to increase for this model. Love the green lights too!!

Back
Top Bottom