Sansui 2000A

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by Ryanj52, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Ryanj52

Ryanj52 Member

That sounds right, there was a lot of static. I have been looking for someone to go through it for me, I don't have any experience with electronics. I was going to try the bulbs but now I will need someone who knows what to do. I started a thread trying to find someone in Louisiana so I don't have to ship it.

2. larryderouin

larryderouin Do I get Food, Med's, or more gear this Month? Subscriber

Make sure it's got it's own PFD, just in case.:biggrin:

The 2sc458's in the unit aren't hard to find if you know what you're looking for. On the phono preamp board there is a number in one corner (F-1253). The 2000A shows 2sc871 in all 4 positions. These should be replaced with KSC1845's. On the Tone control or Preamp board (F1222 or F1222-1) I've seen both boards in the "A", replace all 6 2sc458's with ksc1845's. Then on the AMP board F-1180 Replace 2 2sc458's with KSC1845's. There are other subs but this is the most commonly used replacement now. Download the Datasheet to get the leg pinout on the new transistor, because sure as god made little green apples the leg pinout is different from the old transistors leg pinouts.

There is one more but that one is optional as it's on the F-1186-2 Multiplex board and may affect the Multiplex operation. Generally don't mess with it.

Ryanj52 likes this.
  3. Ryanj52

Ryanj52 Member

Larry, Thanks for the info, at this point I need to find someone, atleast I have some knowledge of what needs to be replaced. Thanks again, Ryan

4. larryderouin

AK member overundr1 (Lee) is in Mississippi. He does really good work on PIONEER's I DO know for a fact. Sansui's I'd ask him about. But generally if you can fix 1 brand you can fix most all of them. Especially if you have the manuals for it. PM him. He's usually on during the evening and during the weekend most of the day.

5. Ryanj52

Ryanj52 Member

Thanks Larry!

6. N8Nagel

N8Nagel AK Subscriber Subscriber

I know the 2000A service manual is posted online, because I scanned mine, if that helps. I believe both at AK and HFE.

smurfer77 likes this.
  7. Ryanj52

Ryanj52 Member

So I met a forum member through a craigslist add and he recommended a semi local shop so I ended bringing my receiver and bulbs to see if they could replace the bulbs and fix whatever was making the noise. They called yesterday and said my receiver wasnt making any abnormal noise. I mentioned that the noise started after being left on for an extended period of time so he agreed to leave it on all day to see if it would start making noise. He mentioned it could have been a loose ground that shifted during transporting the receiver. I asked about the caps and he said they looked fine. Any thoughts?

8. larryderouin

Shops are there for turnover. The faster they turn over a piece the more profit, conversely The longer a piece of gear sits on the bench, the less profit the shop makes. Replacing caps, even if just one is bad, because you then have to track it down, order it if not in stock and then replace it is generally a loss leader. Generally if a shop doesn't hear anything abnormal in a unit, they'll call it good. And unless you specifically ask for a restoration the normally won't do one as it costs them a tech during the time it takes to restore it. Best to take it to a hobbyiest who has the knowledge and doesn't worry about bench time vs. profit. They'll quote you a set price for a restoration and go thru the whole unit.

Then there are the two schools of thought on caps. One is if they are working, leave them. And the other camp which replaces them after 20-25 years. It's an arguement almost as old as what came 1st.....the chicken or the egg?

The 2000A isn't a hard unit to work on. It just takes patience and a bit of a close eye to details (cap orientation, transistor leg orientation, etc.)

smurfer77 likes this.
  9. N8Nagel

N8Nagel AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm still thinking replacing those known noisy transistors is a good place to start.

10. larryderouin

Get both the "A" and the "X" manuals. From what I've seen and know from experience, SANSUI mixed boards in both units. So you'll have some "X" boards in an "A", and conversely some "A" boards or parts in an "X". Doesn't affect operation or anything, it's just frustrating to have to go looking for a manual that has all the right boards in it that will match up with your unit. Ain't found one yet that is strictly an "A" or strictly an "X".

The 2sc458's are on the AK "10 most wanted transistors list". Don't matter where they are, JUST REPLACE THEM! I've found that the noise floor in these is pretty good, and will usually go completely silent (I think of it as the Trident missile submarine effect. To find one you don't listen for it, you listen to the surrounding noise in the water, and when you find a large absense of noise, that's usually it). A properly set up 2000A or X should have no sound(hiss or otherwise) from 96db speakers. Phono will have a slight hiss (barely audible).

Mr.White likes this.
  11. Ryanj52

Ryanj52 Member

What you said makes since, someone I met recommended this place, they called me on Friday and said the receiver was ready, they changed the bulbs added a jumper wire to keep the dial lights on when on aux and cleaned the boards and claim it is fine. I am going to go pick it up and try it out, if the problem persists I will chalk it up to lesson learned.

QUOTE="larryderouin, post: 11016677, member: 42316"]Shops are there for turnover. The faster they turn over a piece the more profit, conversely The longer a piece of gear sits on the bench, the less profit the shop makes. Replacing caps, even if just one is bad, because you then have to track it down, order it if not in stock and then replace it is generally a loss leader. Generally if a shop doesn't hear anything abnormal in a unit, they'll call it good. And unless you specifically ask for a restoration the normally won't do one as it costs them a tech during the time it takes to restore it. Best to take it to a hobbyiest who has the knowledge and doesn't worry about bench time vs. profit. They'll quote you a set price for a restoration and go thru the whole unit.

Then there are the two schools of thought on caps. One is if they are working, leave them. And the other camp which replaces them after 20-25 years. It's an arguement almost as old as what came 1st.....the chicken or the egg?

The 2000A isn't a hard unit to work on. It just takes patience and a bit of a close eye to details (cap orientation, transistor leg orientation, etc.)[/QUOTE]

12. Mr.White

Mr.White Well-Known Member

Definitely replace those 2SC458s. My 2000X started giving me similar trouble and AKer JBLmar [RIP] went through mine and got it sorted. It's been almost 5 years now and still sounds magnificent!

13. Ryanj52

Ryanj52 Member

I will, I was trying to keep it local to save on shipping, but I guess that didnt work out so well. I will be curious to see it this week.