1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Sansui 3000 main caps wired in backwards from factory

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by kwayde, Feb 6, 2018.

1. restorer-john

restorer-john Addicted Member

I need some street creds, maybe I should get some of these shirts made up?

muse.JPG

:)

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Bob

Bob AK Subscriber Subscriber

yep - only if you wear this shirt when listening to the MUSE enhanced unit.

and make sure your customer is NOT color blind and can't tell red from green
    and
    do not let him drive anywhere in the first or second worlds.

3. McGowdog

McGowdog Active Member

This is what I was thinking.

My Kenwood L09s have a + and - rail, 105 iirc, and the negative rail caps are right next to the positive rail one(s) and it looks strange but hey, we're dealing with negative voltage, so it seems to work pretty good.

Would like to see someone fry those 18,000 ,uF caps but not on my amps. Like say, if I saw my ex-mother-in-law working on the thing. Well you gotta put her tongue on it, Leona.

4. Leestereo

Leestereo Super Member

+1

This approach is perfectly acceptable for signal path capacitors, but not for capacitors used solely for filering DC voltage in a power supply. When bi-polar electrolytic capacitors (that comprise of two formed aluminum oxide foils) are subject only to DC voltage, one of the layers is "working" and the other one degrades because it is always reverse biased. Eventually, this bi-polar electrolytic capacitor becomes a polarized one (but not as good as a real polarized capacitor since the non-working oxide layer just adds more ESR).

Hyperion, Overundr1 and Hipocrates like this.
  5. Overundr1

Overundr1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Way late to the party here. You are fortunate that a main cap did not explode on you if full inverse voltage was applied. The big ones can do serious collateral damage if this happens.

Leestereo and Hyperion like this.