Sansui 3000A Power Button Issues

Shark Bait

I am restoring a 3000A and the power button won't stay on. If I hold it in, the unit lights up and I can get sound but the button won't stay in.

I am trying to remove the faceplate and the selector knob is not coming off as easily as the other knobs did. Anyone have any tricks on getting it off? I don't want to pull to hard and damage something else.

When I do finally get it apart, is the button fixable or do I need to try and find a new one?

Any advice on finding a new one?

Thanks for the input!

Get a piece of cloth and put it down on the face-plate. Then use two large soup spoons on opposite sides of the knob and slip under the edge. Push down evenly on both spoons and the knob will eventually pop off. Don't use too much "muscle" as I've seen the shaft break loose from the backside and then you've got a real mess. This doesn't happen often and it's not that common but it can happen.

The switch will either work correctly once the face-plate comes off or it won't. If it does then the face-plate was off just enough to make the knob hang and not release back enough to lock the switch. It has to be absolutely centered in the hole or chances are it won't work when the face-plate is reinstalled and tightened down.

Thanks Larry. That worked. Now I have it apart and the switch is bad. Now I need to find a new one.

Does it need to come out of Sansui 3000 or can I use a different power button?

Odds are the same switch was used on other receivers of that era. Post a picture. Maybe someone will recognize it. In the mean time you could bypass it and use a power strip to turn it on and off.

Please post the serial number for the database. Click on the link in my signature block.

- Pete

That looks more like a rotary switch, knob, not a button. Do you push it or turn it? In either case, it's not a common part. I haven't seen one like it. If it has identification marks on it, try googling them. You may get lucky and somebody is still making that switch.

- Pete

Actually looks to be the correct switch. Might try a good clean and lube as possible, free up the inside toggle. Does have a fairly standard mount and a pretty simple function, so maybe replace with a similar type switch.

It is a push button toggle. I have used Deoxit on it but it still does not want to stay put. Any ideas on how to find a similar one? I am not up on the "lingo" for how to identify it on an electrical parts website.

Not a standard type switch on the Sansuis, might be hard to find but might catch one on Ebay now and then. Standard type switch doesn't have the splinded shaft. Sansui power sw.jpg

I took the switch apart and the insides were very much done. So I ordered a switch from a 5000a. It looks just like the one above. I am hoping I can make it work. It looks like it connects to the receiver the same. I may need a different button cover but I am hoping I can make it work.

Back
Top Bottom