Sansui 310 recap - whats up with the Suzuki oil caps?

toneriderMUC

Hello :)

As my first restoration I want to recap a nice little 1973 Sansui 310 Receiver. I got it cheap and dirty, but after removing dust and grease, it really shines again.

Want to do a full recap and already got a list of the needed caps. I also found four "Suzuki Oil JCP-A" caps of the following values:

2x 0,047 uf / 400v
2x 0,01 uf / 400v

I did some research and read about them being troublesome - so I will probably also replace them.
Question is..: which caps to use? Is there a modern equivalent that retains the original sound?

I found Cornell Dubilier Orange Drops 715P (polpropylene) as possible replacements. Would that be a good choice? The 0,01uf one would have a 600v rating though.

Last edited:
You definitely should replace them, I think Polyester Film capacitors will be fine in terms of functionality, as for retaining original sound, I don't know.

When I did my 1000A it was full of the SUZUKI's. About 1/2 had blown up on a previous to my owning it, power up. Replaced ALL of them with either IC yellow axials or Cornell Dublier DME series films each based on space limitations, but they were paired left and right. I didn't have a before listen, but after hearing a few other 1000A's with "boutique" caps I don't hear a difference between mine and the others. Use what you please in it. I would use 600V or 630V in all of them as the line voltage has gone up since the late 60's and the difference between the rating and the actual voltages in the circuit has lessened. The more headroom, the better for the cap. You also have to allow for cap body size. Orange drops tend to be large. You may have to use a different cap to get it to fit in the space. The DME's are fairly small (approx 1/2 to 2/3 smaller than O.D.'s) There are other brands and series out there, so you have a lot to choose from.

This also applies to my 2000, 2000A, 2000X. Because these are built on boards I was limited to small body caps, so the DME's were perfect for these.

HOWEVER!! Being as you are in GERMANY, you may have access to caps that we don't normally have in the States. and vice versa. I don't know if Mouser has access in Germany, but give them a shot. Shipping will probably be a deciding factor. Local distributors/stores may be a better bet.

When I did my 1000A it was full of the SUZUKI's. About 1/2 had blown up on a previous to my owning it, power up. Replaced ALL of them with either IC yellow axials or Cornell Dublier DME series films each based on space limitations, but they were paired left and right. I didn't have a before listen, but after hearing a few other 1000A's with "boutique" caps I don't hear a difference between mine and the others. Use what you please in it. I would use 600V or 630V in all of them as the line voltage has gone up since the late 60's and the difference between the rating and the actual voltages in the circuit has lessened. The more headroom, the better for the cap. You also have to allow for cap body size. Orange drops tend to be large. You may have to use a different cap to get it to fit in the space. The DME's are fairly small (approx 1/2 to 2/3 smaller than O.D.'s) There are other brands and series out there, so you have a lot to choose from.

This also applies to my 2000, 2000A, 2000X. Because these are built on boards I was limited to small body caps, so the DME's were perfect for these.

HOWEVER!! Being as you are in GERMANY, you may have access to caps that we don't normally have in the States. and vice versa. I don't know if Mouser has access in Germany, but give them a shot. Shipping will probably be a deciding factor. Local distributors/stores may be a better bet.

Ok, wonderful, Thank you both. I think I will just take what I get at Farnell germany, which are the orange drops. The 310 is my kitchen system. I paid 30€ for it and probably dont need boutique caps of the same price :-D
If the Orange Drops can do the job - which is the case - they'll do!

As i havent found anything on the net regarding this little fellow, here is what I am gonna use. Maybe it will be helpful for someone :)

Sansui 310 Receiver parts list:
Lr9oKm.jpg

I havent finally decided about the main filter cap. I'll probably go for the Nichicon KS, unless someone knows a reason, why one of the panasonics would be a better choice there. :)

Back
Top Bottom