Sansui - 317 as a preamp?

goodshelac

Is there a way I can run my 317 as a pre for a phase linear 700? Or am I asking for a large house fire if I do this?

It appears that you can. Use the pre out jacks and just bypass the power amp. Put dummy loads (8 ohm power resistors) across the outputs if you wish, and/or turn the speakers off.

upload_2018-8-14_19-0-55.png

I've done it with mine. Disconnected the 'U' jumpers and went RCA Pre-Out from the AU-317 to Main-Inputs on another amp.

I've also taken a set of RCA 'Y' connectors from the AU-317 Pre-Out with one branch going to a second amp, and the other branch going back into the AU-317 Main-In.

No fires.

I've done it with mine. Disconnected the 'U' jumpers and went RCA Pre-Out from the AU-317 to Main-Inputs on another amp.

I've also taken a set of RCA 'Y' connectors from the AU-317 Pre-Out with one branch going to a second amp, and the other branch going back into the AU-317 Main-In.

No fires.
You weren't using a Phase Linear 700. Because the OP is wanting to use that we should provide a blanket disclaimer.

Phase Linear issues aside, those preamp outputs are made to use with an external amplifier. The PL 700 will be one of the highest power amps used with a 317 in this way.

I dont have to run both channels on the PL700. I can just run one at 350. So RCA from pre out to main amp and turntable RCA'S stay in the phono input on the 317? Disconnecting the U jumpers will disable the 317 Amp and it'll just be a pre at that point?

I dont have to run both channels on the PL700. I can just run one at 350. So RCA from pre out to main amp and turntable RCA'S stay in the phono input on the 317? Disconnecting the U jumpers will disable the 317 Amp and it'll just be a pre at that point?

yes

Back
Top Bottom