Sansui 3300 Right Speaker Issue

NorCalSansui

Happy New Year everyone. Last time I came on here with a question I came out with a fixed receiver and I'm hoping I'll be lucky for a second time. I have a Sansui 3300 which has stopped emitting noise out of the right speaker. Some days it comes on right away and others I have to turn it on & off multiple times before it seems to finally engage. Today it doesn't seem to want to stay on at all. The strange thing is when I turn the receiver off, the speaker becomes active for the second it takes the receiver to turn off. The problem occurs on all channels. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bump... Also, a development is that the speaker issue goes away when on fm or am. However, when I transition to either phono or aux from the radio it usually hangs in for about a minute before going back out. I replaced some transistors on the phono board a while back so I'm thinking it may be a capacitor but Im not sure. Still looking for some more educated advice.

Try pulling the pre/main jumpers and using a cable to connect right out to left in and left out to right in.

This will determine if the problem is with the preamp or amp.

If problem switches to the left, it's the preamp. If it stays in the right, it/s the amp.

It could be a power related issue. I have not had one of these here. Is there a delay circuit on power up? I realize there is not a relay.

Rob

Happy New Year everyone. Last time I came on here with a question I came out with a fixed receiver and I'm hoping I'll be lucky for a second time. I have a Sansui 3300 which has stopped emitting noise out of the right speaker. Some days it comes on right away and others I have to turn it on & off multiple times before it seems to finally engage. Today it doesn't seem to want to stay on at all. The strange thing is when I turn the receiver off, the speaker becomes active for the second it takes the receiver to turn off. The problem occurs on all channels. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Are you talking about the rare 3300 receiver? It has a boatload of switches and connectors (which I've been told are all in the signal path) and need to be exercised regularly to maintain continuity. No protection relay(s) AFAIK to manifest this behavior.

I would (with power off) work the crap out of all the switches and pots, at least 10X in/out and left/right pot rotations on each switch and control. It that don't get it, I personally would then remove the top cover and with power on and low volume setting carefully tap around components with a small wood dowell, chopstick or similar. Could be a solder joint, fine crack in a trace, broken component lead, failed component, broken wire etc.

Quote: "The strange thing is when I turn the receiver off, the speaker becomes active for the second it takes the receiver to turn off." Doesn't seem too weird, seems pretty common behavior for an intermittent signal.

But, until you work with and vett all those swiches and pots to be OK its likely a wild goose chase could then ensue.

Do you need a copy of the 3300 service manual? I would happy to get one to you.

The 3300 has a unique tonality very well suited to playback of '60s engineered music, such as the 1st generation Beatles CD issues and similar material. Its 22 WPC power was an issue driving my speakers, and using it as a preamp into a Yamaha m-4 power amp gives the same tonality... so the voicing is in the preamp. Great looking and 42+ lbs of solid build. Chronologically very close to the pinnacle era of high quality Japanese Hi Fi. And somewhat obscure.

Hello. We are having a similar problem with our Sansui 3300. We were told that we need a schematic. Does anyone know where to find one? Thank you.

I have a service manual I purchased, but it has a "Do Not Distribute" or Share at the beginning. Plus its 12mb large and may be too big to upload. I will try to upload, but if you want send me your contact info via PM and I can try and copy it and send it to you

So I tried uploading in digital Doc but file was too large.
I uploaded it to HFE so you should be able to get it there in a few days.

Last edited:
I have a service manual I purchased, but it has a "Do Not Distribute" or Share at the beginning. Plus its 12mb large and may be too big to upload. I will try to upload, but if you want send me your contact info via PM and I can try and copy it and send it to you

So I tried uploading in digital Doc but file was too large.
I uploaded it to HFE so you should be able to get it there in a few days.
The Sansui 3300 Receiver service manual is 42.2 megabytes in size. Anyone who has Gmail and google drive can PM me for a copy.

When you look at the 3300 schematic notice that the signal passes through all the plethora of switches on this model. They likely need cleaning and vigorous exercising to get to where you are confident that they are not causing interruptions.

Just in case you get an inkling to mess with the bias and signal balance trimpots on the F-1180F driver board, know that they are now very old and may disintegrate if moved. New trimmers don't line up with the originals' solder pads. Don't ask me how I know this.
I hope you can get it working right. My 3300 is now a tuner-preamp and I miss its full capabilities and of course, the sound.

3300 as a tuner preamp is not a good thing as this is a nice sounding receiver. Is there anything we on AK can help you with? Where are you located?

Back
Top Bottom