Sansui 4000 phono section issue

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by yenrec, Oct 22, 2017.

1. yenrec

yenrec New Member

Hi,
    I found a 4000 and picked it up yesterday. It looks great and sounds even better! I am loving it.
    So the problem is in the phono section. when I go to phono, the left channel disappears. If I reverse the speakers, I get both channels. I have tried both phono 1 and 2 and get the same result.
    Why? What should I be looking at?
    Everything else on this receiver seems to be working properly and I am amazed at the overall sound and quality.
    Help! thanks

2. stereoguy70

stereoguy70 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Sounds like the selector switch needs a good cleaning......

3. yenrec

yenrec New Member

Thanks, I will start with that

4. Robisme

Robisme Sansui Enthusiast Subscriber

When you say "reverse" the speakers, do you mean press the reverse button? If so, clean that too. Should clean all the controls while you're in there.

Rob

5. Bruno Primas

Bruno Primas New Member

If cleaning the switches doesn't have an effect, the phono/equalizer board is in the back right corner of the unit, closest to the component inputs. It's under a metal cover, which is easy to remove. The better news is that the board has edge connectors and can be pulled out. (Straight up, no twisting. )

Clean off both connectors, the ones on the board, and the ones they go into. (DeOxit D5 or CRC no-residue electronics cleaner will work.)

The board is a mirror-image of itself, so the one side is left channel, one side right. Check the board for bad solder joints or components that might not look right. If you can't see anything physically wrong, some testing will be necessary. Do the easy stuff first.

BTW, love the 4000. I re-capped and changed the known weaker transistors on mine, and the phono channel sounds great! A keeper unit for sure.

6. yenrec

yenrec New Member

OK, I found the time to do everything that was suggested. Sorry it took so long to get back.
    Now I have both channels in Phono but the left one is weak (very weak!). I can get both with the balance control pretty far to the left, however, when I use the reverse switch, I get nothing.
    That switch was hard to get at, I thought that I got inside of it. I think that the switch needs more attention.
    Opinions?
    Thanks for all the help. I sure like this receiver!

7. Bruno Primas

Bruno Primas New Member

Are you sure it's not the turntable? Try reversing the RCA jacks and see if the problem follows.

8. LBPete

LBPete Rolling Along Subscriber

While you have it out, please post the serial number for the database. Click on the link in my signature block.

- Pete

9. stereoguy70

stereoguy70 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Any progress? :lurk:

10. yenrec

yenrec New Member

Hi,
    Sorry it took so long but I work lot and do not want to touch anything on my system if I'm not 100% awake.
    Today I checked all connections and tried out the phono section and it is working and sounds great.
    I am happy, this receiver sounds as good as you all said it would. Thanks for the help.
    Now I am starting to look for a set of speakers, I'm cheap so I'm hoping for a good find on CL. Any suggestions?

Pete, I posted the serial number.