Sansui 500 A?

c3conv

At last a forum where Sansui enthusiast are! I found a sansui 500 A receiver for sale at about $150. I don't know if this is expensive in your part of the country but here in Asia I guess I wouldn't know also. Anyway, can someone help me whether this is worth buying? What quality of sound can I expect from this amp. Will it blow my current Pioneer A-400X away? What about the tuner are they of good quality too? Lastly, the phono stage are they good enough? The seller is a technician who does practically all sansui stuff. He said the parts are readily available but I wouldn't beleive him that much yet because he is trying to sell me the receiver. He said its in running order. Will set an appointment with him but I wouldn't know how to check it since I am new in this vintage hobbie and ......excited....which means i wouldn't trust much my decissions. Can any of you help me on this cause I don't know if its really worth it.
Thanks
:dunno:

$150 is not too bad, a little high for here, but not bad. 500As are nice units. The tuner section is typical sansui, which is good. The phono section is the only part of the 500A that is not so good. It is solid state, not tube.

All the tubes and electronics are available except for the transformers. The big power resistors would also be hard to replace. The oil caps in the amp, preamp, and power supply should be replaced. It may be fine now but will only be a matter of time before something goes (I have repaired mine twice in the last 3 years and it has now broke a third time.) At the very minimum the 0.005 uF caps in parallel with the diodes in the PS and the 0.3 uF caps in the amp section should be replaced.
Also check inside, any caps that have a oily substance on them should be replaced.

My 500A is very nice when its working. It is just as good as the American tube amps of the time. Mine has a slight reliability problem though :D but replacing some of the caps should solve that.

Can replacing better (expensive?) caps and resistors improve the sound? will it be worth it? Are the tubes also readily available?
I have a QRX 9001 receiver too. Will repairing this amp a better way to achieve good sound or I can achieve better sound from the 500 A?
Do you think I can have more detailed sound from a QRX SP 2500, 500A-Sp2500 or from A400X and Epos 11 combination?
Any suggestions for the speaker that can match the 500A?
Sorry for having so many questions. Getting more excited about it.

For $150, I think you would be better off with something like a Sansui 7070. Or save some more money and wait until a nice 9090 comes along (or look at soem G Series modles) - Just my advice- if you happen to really like the 500A and feel that you want to have it, then be my guest, but.....I dont see any urgent need to spend $150 on it to get it from this tech you mentioned. I'd wait for another model or persuade that tech to the lower the price some.

When you have a chance- check out the Sansui listings on Ebay- by doing this, you will soon become acquainted with alot of the models they made over the years- see which ones strike your fancy, make note of them- put a list of some models you would consider buying, and the guys here can then give their suggestions/recommendations.

B/F.

Ok, I might as well rephrase that. List some model of integrated amp model has the most transparency(in sound)? List some model of receiver that has the most transparency? I guess from there I can have a list of models to look for. Thanks again.

I ALREADY DID that- all you have to do is read the post 'desert island sansui'.

Nonetheles, if you want me to pick one thats great and affordable, get an AU-717.

Replacing the caps will improve the sound. Resistors maybe, but it is probably not worth the effort. The tubes are all available, but the 7189A can be hard to find. As for the speakers, I have no idea, I've never heard a QRX unit or the SP-2500 speakers.

I checked eBay, and two 500As went for between $170-190, so $150 might not be that bad of a deal (I paid $100 for mine.) If you dont like it, you can always sell it again, and have a minimum loss (if not a slight profit.) Just be aware of the problems that these units can have.

Back
Top Bottom