Sansui 500 Barn Find

Papromike

image1.JPG image6.JPG Guys, I just picked up this mint Sansui 500 receiver complete with original box, owners manual and service manual.

I did plug it in and it passes audio, all lights up and generally is in pristine condition but after reading this forum, turned it off because many said "dont plug it in before a recap" I have noticed many of the Suzuki and some other coupling caps are leaking oil.

Ive seen a few DIY on recapping this thing and just looking for some general direction, (I.E. what audio grade caps, or does it matter, Nichicon, Panasonic, etc), Im going to start with a full recap of all of the oil caps and new Electrolytics

For now, here is the beaut.

Attachments

• image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 124
Pretty unusual unit. The 500 seems to appear less than the 1000, which appears far less than the 1000A.

That is indeed a find. Does it have a serial number on the back panel? I'd like to add it to the database. Could you post a picture of the back panel so we can have a look?

- Pete

Maybe we have a different definition of "barn" because most of the ones I poke around in were actually built to house large animals (or tobacco). And they are WAY out in the country -- mostly in the hills of Eastern Kentucky.

So, plenty of horsesh*t and nary a tube amp to be found. Of course if I was a true optimist I would bring a shovel and start digging. Surely somewhere under all that poop there must be a Fisher 500C.

Last edited:
That is indeed a find. Does it have a serial number on the back panel? I'd like to add it to the database. Could you post a picture of the back panel so we can have a look?

- Pete
Pete, here is image of Sansui 500 I just inherited. I do not think it has been plugged in for years, long story but my parents got from my grandparents who I do not ever recall using.

Attachments

• 20210505_094059.jpg
    20210505_094059.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 45
Welcome to AudioKarma Exclusively Sansui! According to your serial number that 500 was build in September of 1965.

- Pete
Thanks Pete. As I recall that was given to my grandparents by my cousin shortly after he got back from Vietnam. But they never used it and when they passed on it ended up with my parents, who never used it. My folks have passed away so I ended up with it. From what I gather it is best not to plug the thing in without replacing a bunch of the electronics. I'm pretty good at repairing small engines and such but know nothing about electronics. Are there folks who repair these thing for a reasonable amount or are these make overs usually just done by enthusiasts for there own enjoyment?

That's an extraordinary story for a very collectable tube receiver. You are fortunate to have it and there are folks that would pay a premium price for one in near new condition. There are techniques for powering up old tube equipment. You shouldn't just plug it into the wall. It needs to be powered up gradually using a device called a variac. This method allows the electrolytic capacitors to "reform." If you are lucky that's all that is necessary to hear it play. That said, those capacitors are 56 years old and are well past their expiration date.

A full restoration is expensive but your 500 is a prime candidate to restore. There are technicians that specialize in vintage tube equipment and any number of hobbyists that might be able to do a basic technical evaluation. Where are you located?

- Pete

Hi Pete, We are in Harpers Ferry West Virginia. I am in no ways a sparkle. I would like to see the unit refurbished and put back in service but am very hesitant to do it my self or for that matter pay alot to have it done. Perhaps I would change my mind if I had heard a really good system. Thanks for getting back to me.

Sorry, no one comes to mind but there must be someone in Washington DC, Baltimore or Pittsburgh. A quick google search turned up quite a few places in the DC area.

- Pete

Back
Top Bottom