Sansui 500 Recap List

Papromike

Well, I am now about to start down the rabbit hole of re-capping the Sansui 500. It still has all of the original Suzuki Oil Caps in it.

So does anyone have a recap list? or am on my own on this one?

Also where should I source from? Mouser? Parts Express?
What's the general concensus on caps
Film Caps where available?
etc?

Want this thing to Sing.
Thanks everyone

having a hard time finding 200uf electrolytics to replace the 2 old Elnas, any idea can I subsitute for a 220uf? its within the 10% tolerance any idea?

Yes. Back in the Early 70's there was a re-organization of the values for caps. They weren't valued in multiples of 5 or 10 anymore. So..........
OLD...........NEW
20 would be 22
40...............39 or 47 (if you can find a 39 you lucked out.)
50...............47 or 56

The variance on the old stuff could be as high as +90% to -20%. New standard for general caps is now +/-20%. 10% is better, but slightly more expensive. Generally accepted that going down in value is not a good idea unless it's within 10%. Going up is 99% good except for the 1st cap off a rectifier tube, then you stick with the value (old or new). Generally if the 1st cap is a 40uf, a 47uf will work ok.

W V after the voltage is for WORKING VOLTAGE. This means the maximum B+ voltage allowed during operation. S V after that is SURGE VOLTAGE or the maximum voltage during the turn on surge, usually 50-75 volts above the working voltage. New caps don't show these anymore. So best to bump the voltage up to the next higher voltage, especially in a Sansui tube amp.

For the caps shown in the picture.
40uf 180wv..................47uf 200V
200uf 25wv.................220uf 50V

These can be replaced with Nichicon TVX axial radials. Film caps in these value's and voltages may be way too big for the area. But check anyway. For now use the Nichicon's.

You'll end up using the extra's on other project's down the road (when the cap prices have increased). Look at it as an investment.....

Back
Top Bottom