SANSUI 5000A CAPACITORS

DIPO

Hi y'all I'm the new guy. I have a Sansui 5000a that I purchased in 1970 in Okinawa, along with a couple of SP 2000 speakers. The 5000a has blown the power fuse for the left side. Been reading here and other places to try to figure out if I can fix the problems, I'm retired, a fair shade tree mechanic, know what a multi-meter is, tinker a lot with various things and would really like to try my hand at fixing this thing. I have been reading a lot about capacitors and transistors so went looking into the unit and found them aplenty, big ones, small ones, all over the place. I'm not an electronics tech but electronics do not scare me. Don't really have a question at this time. I have to pull the schismatic and begin studying it to see if I can figure out what is what. Any who, I'll be here off and on and maybe you all can help me.

Hi Dipo, welcome to AudioKarma exclusively Sansui. It's really great to hear from an original owner! The 5000a is favorite of many people here but it did have a fairly significant problem with the amplifier driver boards. Sansui offered a free countermeasure and replaced those boards under warranty well into the 1980s. So the place to start is to ID what boards are in your unit. The boards will have an ID number on them. The original boards were F-1040. The replacement board was F-6013. These boards are mounted vertically in the top of the receiver.

There is a lot of information available on this site. The "Search" function should be your best friend. Before you dive into anything, read through the information that is already available. That should give you a pretty good idea of where to start and group mind here can give you further guidance.

An important tip about electrolytic capacitors. They degrade slowly over time and are very rarely the cause of an acute problem. You will improve the sound quality of the receiver by replacing them but don't start doing that until you have identified and corrected any problems with the receiver. Otherwise you may inadvertently introduce new problems on top of old problems.

Also, there is usually no need to replace transistors unless they are bad and mass replacement doesn't guarantee repair and can again inadvertently introduce new problems over old.

Next, when you get a chance, please post the serial numbers for the database. Click on the link in my signature block below.

- Pete

Hi Dipo, welcome to AudioKarma exclusively Sansui. It's really great to hear from an original owner! The 5000a is favorite of many people here but it did have a fairly significant problem with the amplifier driver boards. Sansui offered a free countermeasure and replaced those boards under warranty well into the 1980s. So the place to start is to ID what boards are in your unit. The boards will have an ID number on them. The original boards were F-1040. The replacement board was F-6013. These boards are mounted vertically in the top of the receiver.

There is a lot of information available on this site. The "Search" function should be your best friend. Before you dive into anything, read through the information that is already available. That should give you a pretty good idea of where to start and group mind here can give you further guidance.

An important tip about electrolytic capacitors. They degrade slowly over time and are very rarely the cause of an acute problem. You will improve the sound quality of the receiver by replacing them but don't start doing that until you have identified and corrected any problems with the receiver. Otherwise you may inadvertently introduce new problems on top of old problems.

Also, there is usually no need to replace transistors unless they are bad and mass replacement doesn't guarantee repair and can again inadvertently introduce new problems over old.

Next, when you get a chance, please post the serial numbers for the database. Click on the link in my signature block below.

- Pete
Pete, thanks for the reply now I have some place to start. I noticed a F1040 that was laying flat, how many boards does the unit contain? and are they all vertical? Going to look now and will get back to you soon. Again thanks.

Pete's suggestions are spot on.

I'll add that you should start taking copious notes as you go. Every time that you learn something, good or bad, write it down, with as much supporting info as you can add. By the next day you will have forgotten some little (important) detail. And it does not get any better as time goes on.

You should also add your location to your profile. You may have AK members in your neck of the woods who can help with hands on experience.

R&R now means Research & Read - - -

- Pete

Hi again Pete, tried to post serial # on the data base but new to this type of discussion and couldn't figure it out. Not the best computer person. So here is the info, would be more than happy to post it myself but don't know how. Sansui 5000a, S#220080168, Dipo,

The serial number shows it was built in 8th month of 1970. I just picked one up last week and it had a Sept. 1969 build date, so it's celebrating its 48th birthday this month.

Hi, everyone. So I found the thread which discusses rebuilding or retro fitting the 1040 boards in a Snasui 5000a. Wow!!!!!! So not being the sharpest tack in the box I went to my work bench and looked at my amp. and here is what I found. Board on the left the original factory thermal feedback diode (?) had been replaced with 2 small diodes (?) and the attached picture shows the results. The diodes are labeled 185, that is all I can read,are attached to the 2 blue wires, the original clip (show on the left) put back in place and a big glob of white grease used to hold them down. The amp blew this channel back in the late 70s and this is the repair I got. Have no idea how to test any of this to determine if it still works or not. Still reading about electronics and what to do or how to fix the amp. I just thought this looked like a real professional job and wanted to share it.

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-27_15-16-7.jpeg
    upload_2017-9-27_15-16-7.jpeg
    58 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2550.JPG
    IMG_2550.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 41
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Hi, everyone. So I found the thread which discusses rebuilding or retro fitting the 1040 boards in a Snasui 5000a. Wow!!!!!! So not being the sharpest tack in the box I went to my work bench and looked at my amp. and here is what I found. Board on the left the original factory thermal feedback diode (?) had been replaced with 2 small diodes (?) and the attached picture shows the results. The diodes are labeled 185, that is all I can read,are attached to the 2 blue wires, the original clip (show on the left) put back in place and a big glob of white grease used to hold them down. The amp blew this channel back in the late 70s and this is the repair I got. Have no idea how to test any of this to determine if it still works or not. Still reading about electronics and what to do or how to fix the amp. I just thought this looked like a real professional job and wanted to share it.

Some closeup shots of my F-1040 board on my 1969 5000a, works great.

May be it works good now but my personal opinion is better to get the problem fixed by experience technician to avoid future problem.

Replace F-1040 board in whole or is there a fix that resolves heating problems by fixing specific circuits?

Back
Top Bottom