Sansui 5000X or Heathkit AR-1500A?

onanysunday

Listen carefully
If both were in original, mint shape, which would you choose over the other and why? I'm making a local trade, some guy has both and just trying to determine which is better. Both seem to have a cult following. Wondering which is actually the "better sounding" receiver -not necessarily just better specs- i.e. rms wattage, thd, etc. I do like the look of them just about equally which isn't helping me decide. Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 14.17.18.png

HEATHKIT_AR-1500receiver (800x295).preview.jpg

Why not try to work out a deal for both? Then you can decide which one you like the best and sell the other.

The Sansui has a sound of it's own. Darker rather than lighter. Lots of color, but fast color. You may like it, you may not. At it's rated 50 watts it's done. Super unit.
The Heath Kit is closer to what goes in what comes out. It's rated 50 watts and pumps out 70 at it's rated distortion. Super unit.
Get both. Others will come and go, these two will stay.

I have both.

“Better sounding” is totally subjective.

It all depends on your ears, speakers, room, etc...

Get both.
Try them a while.
Flip the one you care less for.

Prices are not going down so it’s even a potential small investment opportunity.

Thanks, I'm not able to try both right now but am leaning towards the 5000X. I have an upgraded Sansui AU-101 and AU-505 right now and love the sound of those. If the 5000X sounds like the earlier AU series, then I'd like to give the 5000X a shot. I wouldn't let the Heathkit power advantage be the deciding factor unless it also has better overall tone. I like warmer, natural, smooth sounding receivers and am rarely pushing more than about 20 watts per channel.

Check and see what driver boards the 5000x has. Some of the early ones I believe had the F-1040 boards, although I think most of the X's got the good F-6014s. Now if it has 1040s and is still working well odds are that it might be OK for a good long while, but the 5000/A/X with the 1040 driver boards, back in the day, was known to fail rather spectacularly to the point where Sansui issued a service bulletin to replace them with 6014s in all three models.

Check and see what driver boards the 5000x has. Some of the early ones I believe had the F-1040 boards, although I think most of the X's got the good F-6014s. Now if it has 1040s and is still working well odds are that it might be OK for a good long while, but the 5000/A/X with the 1040 driver boards, back in the day, was known to fail rather spectacularly to the point where Sansui issued a service bulletin to replace them with 6014s in all three models.
I could be wrong, but like you say there were a few versions of the "5000" series and "X" was the last revision that was supposedly redesigned to allow it to push 4 ohm speaker loads more easily without overheating. I thought all 5000X models were supposed to have this revised board?

I could be wrong, but like you say there were a few versions of the "5000" series and "X" was the last revision that was supposedly redesigned to allow it to push 4 ohm speaker loads more easily without overheating. I thought all 5000X models were supposed to have this revised board?

Odds are it does but I've heard that the first few might have had the old one.

I think we all know you had your mind made up before starting this thread... Sansui.
Go for it! :banana:

If only one then the Heath Kit AR 1500A. More true to sound, entire working units are cheap for parts, all plug in boards which is important because diag can be made with left/right board swap though out.

Originally, I was looking for something like a Sansui 2000X to see how the sound would compare to my AU-101 and AU-505. I never considered a 5000X until it suddenly showed up, but then there was this Heathkit which is exciting because I've never heard one before. I figure it's rarer than the Sansui, despite (some) being made in kit form by thousands of hobbyists? I don't know, all the listings for this hk model were cheap, parts only lots like it had no value. Checking 'sold' listings online, would I be wrong to say the 5000X commands a higher price than an AR-1500A in the same condition? Both have relatively comparable specs on paper with 60 wpc with a slight edge going to Heathkit for more power /better numbers.

If only I could get both. My dilemma: I told myself I was going to sell the piece that I'm currently in the process of trading. I need the money more than another receiver right now but I can't turn away a good opportunity. I'm constantly listening, restoring, selling and trading gear. Although appealing, there's unfortunately no way I can justify spending any money on this deal to get both and choose the best one. If the 5000X just sounds too similar to the 101 and 505 I have already; perhaps the hk could offer a new and interesting different flavor of sound?

Here is a pic of the actual 5000X in question. Don't have one yet for the hk.

20180701_155707.jpg

Last edited:
I do relate to your thinking on this one. I have zero experience with the 101 and 505. Someone else will have to tell you about that matchup. I can tell you after using these two and 30 others here that both are near the top of a short list of vintage receivers to have. And deserve to be.
What to do what to do...…………………
As for price I paid $150 for each. One year ago.

I like both a lot. Big caveat with the Heath. Inspect it carefully, especially a kit built version. Kits vary in build quality, some builders were meticulous and did neat work, some were less than careful on their work. Soldering work on kits is all over the place.

I do relate to your thinking on this one. I have zero experience with the 101 and 505. Someone else will have to tell you about that matchup. I can tell you after using these two and 30 others here that both are near the top of a short list of vintage receivers to have. And deserve to be.
What to do what to do...…………………
As for price I paid $150 for each. One year ago.
That's a great deal. This Sansui is selling for about $600 online in a similar condition.

Pick the one in the best condition. Vintage audio is all about the condition of the individual item. Some brands and models have more value than others of course but I would take an example in excellent condition of a lesser brand than the reverse.

Having owned the Sansui 5000X recently, this would be a no-brainer for me. I'm still kicking myself for selling my 5000X - one of the best-sounding receivers I've owned so far. This receiver will absolutely drive speakers with gusto and has the best bass response that I've ever heard. The only receiver I've ever owned that I had to run without loudness compensation at low volumes, and frequently had to turn the bass control down. And I love bass - in abundance.

GeeDeeEmm

Having owned the Sansui 5000X recently, this would be a no-brainer for me. I'm still kicking myself for selling my 5000X - one of the best-sounding receivers I've owned so far. This receiver will absolutely drive speakers with gusto and has the best bass response that I've ever heard. The only receiver I've ever owned that I had to run without loudness compensation at low volumes, and frequently had to turn the bass control down. And I love bass - in abundance.

GeeDeeEmm
Like I said ,lots of color. But fast color.

+1 for the 5000X

Sansui is well known and widely recognized in vintage hifi just about everywhere, so much easier to sell if you don’t like it.
HealthKit - not even close in that department. FWIW, can still be good in the sounding department. However, reselling if you don’t like it - I don’t know.

Last edited:
That's tall money. $300 would be top dollar, I think.
Hmm. That's absolutely true in our part of the country, but check the ebay completed sales. I had mine about three years ago. I paid $25 for it (not working because of blown fuses) and sold it on ebay for $450 a few months later. They've gone up even more since then. Even so, they rarely sell for over $500 except for rare circumstances.

GeeDeeEmm

Back
Top Bottom