Sansui 5000X or Heathkit AR-1500A?

On a side note. The only receiver I have other than the AR-1500A with a chrome on cast metal grill and chrome on steel knobs is the 1974 40 pound 50 watt Magnavox 1500. 40 pounds, what were they thinking. And it too has the sound to back it up.
I see you're going to be busy for a while. When you run out of units I have a few suggestions.
This is Belgian Magnavox? It must sound amazing. The chrome trim and accents are a decidedly nice touch.

Last edited:
I need to find a service manual for this. Are there any bias or internal adjustments to check?
I couldn't begin to tell you. I don't work on this stuff, I just marvel at it's capabilities. My understanding is that it has an outstanding protection design. Short speaker wires to test it if I remember correctly.
Service manual? Yes they are available. All 30 pages.

Made in Indiana. And they made Ampeg amps. Bought out by Phillips in 1974. Phillips changed the face and kept the guts, sold lots of units.
Yes, sound great.

I need to find a service manual for this. Are there any bias or internal adjustments to check?

The only adjustment is the 19kHz on the multiplex board. I think this can be adjusted by selecting the weakest possible station with a stereo signal and set it halfway between the points where the stereo light goes off. Also, all inputs have individual level adjustments. If any of these are turned down, you will not have a signal from that input. I think they are all accessible on the bottom of the unit.

No bias or centering adjustments. But, you might want to check DC offset at the output and maybe measure bias voltage across the emitter resistors just to ensure that nothing has gone bad.

It's just a complete bullsh#t term invented by audio-scribes.
Hi. I was referring to the small details in familiar recordings that aren't audible on other equipment- microdynamics. I don't know what better word to use to explain it. Pretty much exactly just like what it sounds it is. Similar (in effect) to how the increased resolution of a Super Audio CD player picks up details that other players cannot reproduce.. similar to the overall effect of increasing both the sampling rate and bitrate of a recording, thereby allowing you to hear more detail that lesser equipment is incapable of.

In very well made and designed equipment you can pick out details that weren't audible before which is what makes this whole audio pursuit worthwhile. Otherwise, I'm sure I'd be happy as a clam with a Funai or Aiwa if I couldn't tell the difference with those fancy "microdynamics".

Hi. I was referring to the small details in familiar recordings that aren't audible on other equipment- microdynamics. I don't know what better word to use to explain it. Pretty much exactly just like what it sounds it is. Similar (in effect) to how the increased resolution of a Super Audio CD player picks up details that other players cannot reproduce.. similar to the overall effect of increasing both the sampling rate and bitrate of a recording, thereby allowing you to hear more detail that lesser equipment is incapable of.

In very well made and designed equipment you can pick out details that weren't audible before which is what makes this whole audio pursuit worthwhile. Otherwise, I'm sure I'd be happy as a clam with a Funai or Aiwa if I couldn't tell the difference with those fancy "microdynamics".
Interestingly, during restoration or upgrade of many projects I've found certain passives, like SLCCs, electrolytics, mylars or polyesters (in very small values) can have a sympathetic effect to increase resolution if stabilized, non-microphonic MLCC's are substituted for SLCC's and cheap, readily available [keyword "natural" sounding] polystyrene and polycarbonate caps ($teflon$) etc. are used in addition to the ever-popular metalized polypropylene types.

By upgrading capacitor material, resolution and details are enhanced. Does it REALLY matter? Well no, but yeah if you want to take it past previous limitation towards a closer representation of perfection. My end goal is just real, natural sound, not overemphasis, "hyper" or "super" anything. I find stock caps to be lacking in all but the most high-end equipment and just one thing to consider among others such as precision resistors etc. for improvement.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom