Sansui 5000x ???

Indiana Steve

My 1st post and have question on my old 5000x from the 70's...Was this unit considered low/mid/high end for its' time? Still working but has a finicky volumn control-is it worth spending anything to have local shop give it a tune-up and cleaning?

Probably just needs a good going-through with DeOxIt. That was an upper-end model in its day and is a lovely unit. I'd much prefer fixing that old girl up rather than buying today's flimsy crap.

Fix her up...she'll eat whole Circuit Crappy and Worst Buy stores for breakfast.

TP

I had a Sansui 5000 that had a massively blown channel according to the guy I sold it to for $15. I didn't want to bother with it due to the driver boards being hardwired and mounted vertically in a cramped case. He said there were blown traces and all sorts of damage. IIRC there was an upgrade that solved these issues.

If this is a similar receiver (early solid state with *three* sets of speaker jacks), then yeah, its worth the trouble.

Not a particularly valuable piece (should you ebay it). Early solid state pieces just don't fetch much. The solid state version of the famous Fischer 500 receiver fetches $40 or so while its tubed brethren commands ten times that.

Back
Top Bottom