sansui 517 as preamp

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by gentlejax, Jul 10, 2017.

1. gentlejax

gentlejax AK Subscriber Subscriber

I had one , wish I had kept it...it was rebuilt and nice...now I have chance to get another. not sure on the history but Its not very much and it works . I was thinking id use it as a preamp for now and maybe have it rebuilt later.

will I still get that vintage sound using it as preamp?

2. macyjrm

macyjrm AK Subscriber Subscriber

The answer is probably. It really depends on the condition of the components within the 517's preamp section. The real question is how long will it work before it fails. The 517-717 series is impacted by the corrosive glue common to a number of Sansui models. If it hasn't been rebuilt by a competent person, this problem will occur eventually. I'm not trying to discourage you. These models are well regarded and sound really nice when working properly.

Hyperion and Overundr1 like this.
  3. gentlejax

I totally understand. that was my worry before when I ran vintage gear. maybe I should see if I can buy my rebuilt 517 back. I know where it is and who has it.

its considerably cheap so i thought I might be able to use it as preamp for a while until I can afford to rebuild it.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  4. Overundr1

Overundr1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Short answer is yes, be aware that the power supply sends regulated voltages to both the phono/selector board as well as the tone/filter board through a different area of the supply compared to the voltages sent to the main amplifier boards and most of the corrosive glue issues surround that first part of the power supply. On the other hand the 517/717 series would make a nice pre-amp.

Karl vd Berg likes this.
  5. Karl vd Berg

Karl vd Berg Super Member

Right now I'm using the preamp part of my AU-317 to my Aurex SC-530B power amp and, dispite its simplicity, it sounds really nice... So I assume the preamp part of the au-517 will sound reeeeally nice...

Overundr1 likes this.
  6. gentlejax

I can get it for about 2 bills so I a finding it hard to resist. I cant seem to reach to guy I sold my rebuilt one too so ..

7. SteevG

SteevG Sansuiphile

I can tell you from experience that my AU 717 works great as a preamp. Mine's been gone thru, so I know it's in good condition, I wouldn't hesitate to try the 517. I use it as a pre connected to a refreshed Dynakit ST70. Get shielded interconnects as that seemed to tame some hum I had.

All in all, you'll have a good phono section, an aux, tuner, etc.

P.S.

You can always use it as an integrated or just the power amp side too.

8. gentlejax

unfortunately I didnt buy it. I had no way to test it . I didnt want to spend the initial money and then know it needed rebuilding. seller was a little odd. didnt want to get caught in another half working vintage unit . already got caught once.

9. Karl vd Berg

Karl vd Berg Super Member

I had a look at the AU-517's preamp part, and it looks a bit like the AU-317's except for the dual supply in the 517 and other minor changes...