1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Sansui 6060 Question

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by misterguitar, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Oldsansui441

Oldsansui441 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Glad to hear you are making progress with it, l would try re cleaning the switches first.

If both channels are dead on phono then most likely a power supply issue to that board or a selector switch problem.

2. misterguitar

misterguitar AK Subscriber Subscriber

cleaned the selector switch an relubed. ok so I'm checking power supply to the board. looks like its the red wire and a black ground wire headed over to the common ground. I get 48 volts off the red wire. I can't seem to tell from the schematic what the power supply voltage to the phono amp should be. But if I hit the terminator als of the phono amp transistors they all read 48 volts to ground! which is odd!! It looks like this model has three supply viktages of three different windings. One for the lamps, one for the power transistors and the other for every thing else. Where would be a good point to read rhe voltages of the various rails? I'd like to clear up the power supply as ok or not ok. I'm trying to trace the various connectors between boards on the schematic but the peint is a bit fuzzy. I'm taking that manual up to kinkos to get it printed in large size for my aging eyes. two years ago I didn't need glasses at all. now I can't see anything close up. I feel old and crusty now!

3. misterguitar

Sorry for all the typos . I'm working off my tiny iphone till I can fix my home pc!

4. misterguitar

48 volts would seem to high? The windings on the transformer are listed as 32volts? sounds like the voltage regulation circuit is not working maybee?? How would I deduce from the schematic what the regulated rail voltage should be? I am reading my schuler electrinics book to try to figure this out myself..

5. Oldsansui441

Don't forget the transformer winding outputs are AC voltages and all voltages in receiver minus the lamp supply will be DC. Here is a link that explains all of this well.

http://www.bristolwatch.com/ele/basic_ac_rectification.htm

The amplifier rails will be unregulated DC, lamps usually unrectified (AC) and the supply to all other sections regulated DC. I just downloaded the schematic and as you say it is hopeless, l cannot decipher any of the voltages either, very blurry.

6. misterguitar

Yeah this is kind of a pickle for me. Sad to say I'm used to the Marantz stuff which is a bit better documented. Its hard to even to begin logical troubleshooting when you have no idea what the input voltage supply to the board is as everything calculates off that. I guess I could just test every single component on the phono/mic amp board for function. My gut says its in the regulated power supply. Which may be why the low filter button and muting button cause almost speaker blowing pops when pushed in or out. But I did just go out to staples and printed that schematic at 36x24! and like magic the voltages in those orang circles are visible now! Not sure how much help they will be though.

Attached Files:

7. Oldsansui441

Yes l know what you mean, some of the service manual copies make it very hard. Some of the manufacturers don't even list many of the voltages. I like Pioneer manuals the best. At least you have something to reference now.

Great idea on the large copy, l remember doing this many times years ago tracing circuit faults in cars.

8. misterguitar

well so far I have lifted and tested all the bridge diodes one at a time. all are good. pulled all the new electrolytic caps I put in the PS circuit. they all test correct. checking all the resistors and the sd313 transistors now

9. misterguitar

it would appear the power supply is ok. the components all check out to spec. does anybody else out there have a 6060? If so could you take a voltage reading off the red wire that feeds both the tone amp board and phono amp or as Samsui calls it the equalizer board. seriously this thing is driving me batty!Im kinda wishing I had not taken this one on! I'm running out of things to check. Just pulled the 2sc1222 and 2sc1313 transistors on the phono board and they test good. Grrrrr

10. Oldsansui441

I don't have my 6060 anymore, sorry. I wonder if the transistor leg voltages are correct on the equaliser board, does the service manual provide these values?

It is still strange that neither channel on phono is working, is there a way you can check for continuity between equaliser outputs and pre amp inputs when phono is selected on selector switch?

Does the mic input work?

11. misterguitar

Hmm. I'm currently on vacation and away from the receiver. All good questions you ask. I brought the schematic for the power supply, a scientific calculator, a notebook and this book with me lol. https://www.amazon.com/Engineering-...&sr=8-4&keywords=engineering+circuit+analysis I decide if Sansui would not tell me what the correct voltage from the supply to the tone and phono board are I'll just have to calculate it the old fashioned way! I should be back home this coming Friday or Saturday. but the lady is getting anxious to get it back and I may have to admit defeat and send it to another tech in the area to figure it out. <<GASP!>> I am going to order replacements for the two 2SD313 transistors in the power supply. Both are on heat sinks and I figure it can't hurt to replace them since they get hot!

12. Oldsansui441

I bet it's just what you want to be looking at on vacation :rolleyes:. I hope you can get it figured out but in any case she should be very happy with all that you have done so far.

Good call on the regulator transistors on the power supply, l usually use TIP41C's for the replacements as l can get these locally.

Have a great time away :thumbsup:.

misterguitar likes this.