1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Sansui 661 cleanup

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by Motnick, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Motnick

Motnick AK Subscriber Subscriber

My father in law brought me his 661 a few weeks ago that he bought with his first pay check from Great Lakes steel. He has kept the unit in continuous use since he bought it new.

Most of the bulbs were burned out and the overall condition was looking poor. He asked me to install some new lamps. I replaced the bulbs with warm white LEDs and reflowed the lamp sockets because the conections were no longer good. I cleaned up all of the controls with deoxit and fader lube. While I had it on the bench I went ahead and cleaned the entire unit up and gave it some good play time. The unit sounds great still so I only cleaned it up. I didn’t bother with a recap as it still sounds wonderful.

Tomorrow is his birthday and I plan to take it back to him and surprise him with it.

This is only rated at 20wpc, but it sounds like so much more!

Here’s to a great father in law, and to a great classic Sansui. I’m sorry to see it leave, but I know that he will be greatful to have it back. I hope that he can enjoy it for the several more years.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Motnick

SN: 226021554

3. desertlizard

desertlizard AK Subscriber Subscriber

Fantastic receivers, always impress me, I think there look is stunning.
    Very nice of you.

Bruno Primas likes this.
  4. Oldsansui441

Oldsansui441 AK Subscriber Subscriber

That looks great, nice cleanup :thumbsup:.

5. Wow, what a great job you did, as can be clearly seen when comparing the original and after pictures. What did you use to clean it up so nicely ? Your Father in Law will be so impressed !

6. Motnick

Thanks for the comments guys! I took the unit back to him on Saturday evening and he was super happy with it. He must have thanked me 10 times! He told me that the Stereo bulb hasn't worked since the early 80's.

Here it is back in its spot at his house.
    [​IMG]

Oldsansui441 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.