Sansui 661 - Shell Shock

Captain581

While perusing an antique store in Brantford Ontario last week, I came upon a Sansui 661 in great shape. It was playing, and worked perfectly. All knobs had that ‘new resistance’ feel to them when turned, even the volume knob. It was obvious this unit had barely been used.

Unfortunately, it did have all the telltale signs of having been in a smoking house – yellow tarnish everywhere, especially around the brushed-silver dial frame; the knobs were all tacky to the touch as well. However, at $65.00 CAD, I couldn’t turn it down. They sell for over $100 here on Canuck Audio Mart in much worse shape.

The unit cleaned up very well! Blue Magic metal polish got rid of the dial frame tarnish. Actually, I’ve never seen a XX1 Sansui that didn’t have dark tarnish on the dial frame. Toothpaste (having the perfect degree of abrasiveness) got rid of the coating on the knobs. The wood case was truly immaculate, and I gave it a good refinish. Now to try it out.

I have two 2270s, a Sansui 2000A, and a Sony STR 6800 SD (all completely refurbished). I have to say, I was completely blown away by this little receiver! It sounded wwaaaayyyyyy better than its earlier 2000A brother, even with the latter having had all its noisy transistors replaced. With the 2000A too, even though it sounds truly awesome for the first 10 minutes, listener fatigue sets in for me soon.

What really astonished is that this little 661 actually sounds as good as my fully recapped/restored 2270s – perhaps even better with some music. It’s more detailed in the upper mid-range, perhaps a bit heavy on the high-end - it does fall short with some vocalists who come across sounding a tad thin in their lower range; Van Morrison & Gary Brooker for instance. The 2270s still sound much better here. However, with certain female voices like Joan Osborne, Sarah McLachlan or K.T. Tunstall, the 661 might actually sound better, especially on acoustic material. What a great and DEEP bottom end too! It’s hard to believe this little 661, not recapped and probably in need of bias and DC offset adjustment can sound so good and hold its own against a recapped 2270. If you have a chance to pick one of these up, don't pass it by!

Attachments

• 661 (1).jpg
    661 (1).jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 124
  • 661 (2).jpg
    661 (2).jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 661 (3).jpg
    661 (3).jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 135
  • 661 (4).jpg
    661 (4).jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 661 (5).jpg
    661 (5).jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 661 (6).jpg
    661 (6).jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 132
  • 661 (7).jpg
    661 (7).jpg
    86 KB · Views: 129
  • 661 (8).jpg
    661 (8).jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 129
That is my favorite "low power" receiver. I had one a while back that I picked up for $25 and all it needed was a little clean up and some bulbs. I paired it with some rebuilt KLH model 20 speakers and that was a great sounding combo, especially for jazz.

I ended up selling it together with the speakers when I was trying to downsize. I really do regret selling the little guy!

The XX1 series are well known in the Sansui community for being solid performers, you seem to have bagged yourself an especially nice example.

Great job on the clean up, enjoy.

PS: if you get the 661 reconditioned it may well give your 2270 a run for its money ;)

On the 'up side' I got an amplifier from Austria, and it had a pleasant odour of Caraway and/or Aniseed about it, which I understand is often used for cooking in that country. ;)

I love posts like this, I had a 661 that I sold before getting an 881 and decided to get another one from a fellow AK'r haven't received it yet but think they are great sounding looking units, reading this has me excited.
DL

I rebuilt a 771 a couple years ago with the intent to gift it to my best friend. After I overhauled it and gave it a listen, I almost kept it. What a warm, wonderful sounding receiver it is.

I have an 881 on the shelf waiting for its turn at an overhaul, and I'll probably hang onto that one. :)

I had a 661 and 881 and very much regret selling them. Good build quality, great sound, and they looked really cool. I'm on the hunt for another nice 881.

While perusing an antique store in Brantford Ontario last week, I came upon a Sansui 661 in great shape. It was playing, and worked perfectly. All knobs had that ‘new resistance’ feel to them when turned, even the volume knob. It was obvious this unit had barely been used.

Unfortunately, it did have all the telltale signs of having been in a smoking house – yellow tarnish everywhere, especially around the brushed-silver dial frame; the knobs were all tacky to the touch as well. However, at $65.00 CAD, I couldn’t turn it down. They sell for over $100 here on Canuck Audio Mart in much worse shape.

The unit cleaned up very well! Blue Magic metal polish got rid of the dial frame tarnish. Actually, I’ve never seen a XX1 Sansui that didn’t have dark tarnish on the dial frame. Toothpaste (having the perfect degree of abrasiveness) got rid of the coating on the knobs. The wood case was truly immaculate, and I gave it a good refinish. Now to try it out.

I have two 2270s, a Sansui 2000A, and a Sony STR 6800 SD (all completely refurbished). I have to say, I was completely blown away by this little receiver! It sounded wwaaaayyyyyy better than its earlier 2000A brother, even with the latter having had all its noisy transistors replaced. With the 2000A too, even though it sounds truly awesome for the first 10 minutes, listener fatigue sets in for me soon.

What really astonished is that this little 661 actually sounds as good as my fully recapped/restored 2270s – perhaps even better with some music. It’s more detailed in the upper mid-range, perhaps a bit heavy on the high-end - it does fall short with some vocalists who come across sounding a tad thin in their lower range; Van Morrison & Gary Brooker for instance. The 2270s still sound much better here. However, with certain female voices like Joan Osborne, Sarah McLachlan or K.T. Tunstall, the 661 might actually sound better, especially on acoustic material. What a great and DEEP bottom end too! It’s hard to believe this little 661, not recapped and probably in need of bias and DC offset adjustment can sound so good and hold its own against a recapped 2270. If you have a chance to pick one of these up, don't pass it by!
Old post, but no matter. Got one of these on the way, hopefully by Christmas. Can't wait to try it.
Wondering what speakers to match up with it? Not necessarily vintage.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom