Sansui 7 vs 8/8 deluxe

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by Rmac587, Aug 13, 2017 at 12:29 PM.

1. Rmac587

Rmac587 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Fellow compulsive people:
    I currently have a very nice sounding 881 and a rebuilt Au-717, but I'm really tempted by a recapped 8 Deluxe on that auction site. That said, there is also a very nice 7 that would be much cheaper. Excellent condition with new lamps, but not recapped.

My question is this: are they so similar that it makes sense to simply try the 7?
    Thanks in advance! -Rob

2. captouch

captouch AK Subscriber Subscriber

To me, it really depends on what your intended purpose is for the 7 or 8/8 Deluxe. If it's just to have a good example of the single digit series for collection and occasional listening, I'd go for the 7 as it's much cheaper.

The 8/8 Deluxe kind of gives you bragging rights as a TOTL receiver, but I'm thinking it won't sound significantly different than the 7. And the rebuilt 717 would be hard to beat I think. So unless you have places for all your receivers/integrateds such that it makes sense to spend a lot for a recapped 8D, I wouldn't be inclined to spend a lot of $ for something that might not be either your main unit or something that was very frequently used.

3. Rmac587

Sound advice Cap. I acquired the 881 from Eiraved (awesome guy SoCal AK folks) in a trade and it sounds wonderful, rich, warm, articulate, really nice. But Eiraved noted that it has a different "presentation" than other lines. That made me curious. Given that I already have the other two, I'll pass on the 8.

I MAY get the 7 and have them go head to head with the 717 and 881, and keep the best one.

4. captouch

From what I've heard, the AU-717 is really nice. It wouldn't surprise me if the 7 sounded better than the 881 (I'm assuming the 881 is also original like the 7 would be), but I'd be surprised if either beat a rebuilt 717. But you never know, I've never heard a 717 myself. :)

I do have a 8D myself, and it's a very nice sounding receiver, but it's always a question of how much something costs and whether its cost can be justified for its intended use.

5. Rmac587

Geez, Cap, if you were in the SoCal area I'd just say take the 717 for a while to demo and see how you like it. It's sitting on a shelf....

I'm thinking you're right on the "cost" vs. "intended use" issue. My main amp right now is a NOSvalves Scott 299b. That would be VERY hard to displace.

6. captouch

And my 8D is sitting on my Expedit just being ornamental. :) I guess we have too much gear. My main speakers require plenty of power/current, so even if I wanted, the 8D couldn't really fill that space.

I'm from SoCal and will be visiting there during Xmas, but I don't really have a good way to demo it at my parents' place.

Rmac587 likes this.
  7. Rmac587

If you're close to Fullerton just.cruise over my way. I'll be between semesters / teaching and pretty flexible.

My mains now are my Forte I, but I'd REALLY like to hear the 717 with some JBL L96 or something in that ballpark. I was in contact with Mech986 about some 44xx and may have to follow that up.

8. MER71

MER71 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have heard the 6, 7 and 8D. The Eight Deluxe sounds much better then the 7. To save money, grab the 7, unless money doesn't matter.

9. Rmac587

Oh man, Mer71, you're enabling me.... and I'm ok with that.

10. Overundr1

Overundr1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Egads a sitting 717 lol. Try it with your forte's for a pleasant surprise :)

11. Rmac587

Even better Over, I've done all of Moray James's "over the counter" modifications to the Forte and installed Bob Crites diaphragms and crossovers. They are a dream.

The Scott 299 is tough to beat with them!