Sansui 7000 Main Power Cap Upsize Values

ZeroG

Finally getting around to recapping this beast. I'd like to upsize the main power caps, which are one 3300uf plus two 2200uf (and I think one 1500uf). Somewhere someone said they can be doubled in size, and that was the only thread reference found for the main caps. I'd like to verify this, get some consensus on it.

I have two Panasonic CE seried caps rated 4700uf and one rated 6800uf that I'd like to use, which read on my ESR meter at approximately 4245uf and 4300uf (for the 4700s) plus 5900uf for the 6800uf. These are new caps I ordered about 3 years ago but never installed.

Will these caps be optimal replacements? Should I bypass with a small film cap, and if so, what size?

Thanks for the help!

From my Sansui 7000 rebuild thread:

The big caps are a power reservoir / filter cap, the two output-coupling caps, and a smaller power supply cap. All of these are "so big" they need collars and this huge section dedicated to them.
C811,C812 2200 uF 80V
C005 3300 uF 100V
C004 1000 uF 50V

C811 and C812 are the audio signal path caps that couple the power amp board's output transistors to the speakers. It is critical to keep the same capacitance value as this forms a filter on the output and any larger value would increase the bass emphasis. So, these get Nichicon KG 2200 uF 80V caps with snap-in leads.
C005 is the primary power reservoir and filter, so increasing its capacitance will smooth the rectified DC more and provide additional dynamic range. If you're in the camp that believes that. So, this one 4700 uF 100V Nichicon LS series. No fancy marketing hype, just more capacity.
C004 is a plain old power supply cap, so the Nichicon PW series is fine here.
The big deal with these caps is the originals are huge by comparison and are expected to be held in place with vertical collars. The new caps are tiny, especially in diameter, so you need something to firmly wedge the caps in the collars.​

Back
Top Bottom