Sansui 7000

image.jpeg Hello I am a proud owner of a 7000 as well. My neighbor who was in the Air Force was going to throw it out. I saved it about 10 years ago and hooked it up to new to me infinity kappa 8.1s 2 years ago without servicing or anything. These are the easier to drive models. There was a lot of cracking in the volume but it did play them somewhat. Needless to say the infinitys need amps I know that now lol. I had the sansui service and hooked them to my advent 1s for six great months till the left channel died. Sad day. So it sits for now. I too am thinking of having a full restoration done on it. A great sounding receiver. Recent bought a G4500 for a great price and enjoying it as well. Definitely does not have the same sonic signature as the 7000.

I was stationed over in the Philippines for a couple years back in the 1970s. I was recently digging through some old Exchange sales brochures from my stash (Exchange = BX, PX, NEX) and found that the 7000 was a Special Order Item. Exchange selling price: $228. The Eight was listed in the same brochure for $258. The 7000 was prominently featured - the first receiver listed and two pages with pictures, and touting the "Awesome 260Watt Power Output". After the 7000, the receivers each get only a half-page write-up: next page - 5000X, 4000, then next page - 2000X, and 1000X, then finally the Eight (This distinguished new receiver) shares a page with the bottom of the line 800. Curiously, the 7000 and the Eight are the only receivers listed as Special Order Items. BTW, the AU-999 is listed in this brochure for $174 and matching TU-999 is $147!

I was stationed over in the Philippines for a couple years back in the 1970s. I was recently digging through some old Exchange sales brochures from my stash (Exchange = BX, PX, NEX) and found that the 7000 was a Special Order Item. Exchange selling price: $228. The Eight was listed in the same brochure for $258. The 7000 was prominently featured - the first receiver listed and two pages with pictures, and touting the "Awesome 260Watt Power Output". After the 7000, the receivers each get only a half-page write-up: next page - 5000X, 4000, then next page - 2000X, and 1000X, then finally the Eight (This distinguished new receiver) shares a page with the bottom of the line 800. Curiously, the 7000 and the Eight are the only receivers listed as Special Order Items. BTW, the AU-999 is listed in this brochure for $174 and matching TU-999 is $147!

That's cool thanks for sharing.

Any chance of scanning that brochure and posting a copy? That's great historical information. There has been speculation over the years that the 7000 was only sold through the Post Exchange system.

The pricing references are pure gold. It's my understanding tat the post exchange system was basically non-profit so the prices referenced would be below what the average joe in the US would pay for the same gear. Even so, this stuff cost real money. Based on serial numbers on file in the Database, production of the Eight started in April 1971. Based on that lets assume the prices listed are from mid 1971. The CPI calculator translates those values into 2017 dollars.

7000 - $228 in 1971 = $1,392 in 2017 dollars
Eight - $258 = $1,576 in 2017 dollars
AU-999 - $174 = $1,063
TU-999 - $147 = $898

- Pete

I am now the proud owner of one of these beauties. And wow does it pack a punch - so effortless.
The issue with it is that the tuner doesn't seem to work - it just doesnt seem to pick up a signal or output to speakers. Any ideas?
The serial # is 221060398. So I'm guessing that is the 398th unit built in June of 1971.

Yup, June of '71. I've added the serial number to the database. I responded with some things to check in your other thread. It's best to address technical issues in a dedicated thread.

- Pete

I'll help looking for a new source in a few weeks. I'm just starting a rebuild on two 7000's and once the guts are repaired and restored, I'll need button labels, too.

I need some too.

If anyone finds a source or knows how to print them, I'll take a set.

I have a P-Touch label-maker, so I'll see if it can come close enough for gub'ment work.

ebay $30
i had to buy them
ive got the six, seven, eight and deluxe.....but not the 7000 - but im about to have one of those too....which is why im reading here

w.a.r.

The AK member @bobloblaw is the producer of those stickers on eBay. Send him a PM if you need a set. I'm very happy with the ones I bought from him.

ebay $30
i had to buy them
ive got the six, seven, eight and deluxe.....but not the 7000 - but im about to have one of those too....which is why im reading here

w.a.r.

Become an AK Subscriber.

There's a member here producing them. I'm happy with mine.

Awesome. Glad I found this thread. Ordered the labels from Bob on ebay. I will get my SN when I get a chance. Mine was free from the original owner, who got it and was, you guessed it, from his PX when in the Navy in the 70's. Same story, too big & heavy, glad to find it a home. Wanted nothing, even when offered. In fact, about a month later, a Pioneer SX-9 also showed up on my desk. A military friend of his wanted to get rid of it. Also a PX only purchase. Both work perfectly after cleaning/deoxit, etc. Need a few bulbs/leds. The 7000 is replacing my Mac1900 while I recap it.

Last edited:
I found my 7000 at GW and finally after 2 years , got it up and running . Very solid receiver with a lot of punch for 70 WPC .

Back
Top Bottom