Sansui 7070 LED dial pointer comparison (with pictures)

AtomicLP

I posted this thread in December but noticed the image server I used basically disappeared...and there is no option to edit. So I will repost for you all...

I recently posted a thread asking info on LED replacements. Well long story short I ordered some pre-wired LED's 3mm for the dial pointer, and the fuse style LED's for the tuner section. Here are some pics showing the differences.

Original Incandescent. Here is why I like LED lights. Note the housing has turned brown. These put out a ton of heat, and for some unfortunate owners of Marantz, some of these housings are melted beyond repair

20161126_173610_zpsbyjem4sj.jpg

This is what the new fuse LED's looks like

20161126_173911_zps7fwnaptw.jpg

TUNER SECTION COMPARISON:

Here is the tuner section (only) replaced with Cool-White LED. As you can see it turns the section a nice blue hue...if you're into that. I felt it took away from the Sansui look. YES, that is a sansui 5050. This pic shows the true colour better so I used it instead of the one of the 7070..looks the same in both though

1CoolWhite_zpse9vi64zo.jpg

Here is the tuner section + FM meters replaced with Warm-White LED. This is close to the original, keeps that greenish hue but not too green. Looks really fresh. Warm-White is what I ended up using.

20161126_181233_zpscnm7vpeo.jpg

DIAL POINTER COMPARISON:

I used a 3mm pre-wired (aka resistor already installed) 6V LED.

What they look like installed. I left the original clear tubes in place to avoid upsetting the tuner string, or if I ever decided in the future to make it 100% original.

20161126_173041_zpsl1biw87c.jpg

Warm-White (very close to original)

0WarmWhite_zpsvrqtapzk.jpg

Cool-White

0CoolWhite_zpsz5jsiqdv.jpg

Amber
0Amber_zpsci8xvdfu.jpg

So of the three I ended up using the warm white. I felt the amber was too orange for my liking. However I might go back to the cool-white. I like the modern-ness it brings to the unit.

I'd like to add in that the VU meters are original lamps. They are not burnt out so I won't replace them unless they do, since they are a bit more tedious to get at. Also the selection meter lights are original too. They aren't burnt out so I see no need to replace them.

Hopefully this helps any curious people....

The warm white looks nice. I don't usually like the look of LEDs.

Thanks for posting.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom