Sansui 7070 sounds garbled until it warms up!

DirtyDog

Hi,

I just purchased my second Sansui. A 7070 which I am really enjoying. One quick questions for the experts:

Everything sounds great after about a minute of warming up, but initially, after the protection relay kicks in, the sound is a little bit garbled. Is this normal? What could cause this?

It's not a big deal because it sounds great after about a minute or so, but I am just curious.

Can you describe the "garbled" part - do you mean distorted?

Is the extent of this the same in both channels?

Does it matter what input you are using - or not?

Hi,

I just purchased my second Sansui. A 7070 which I am really enjoying. One quick questions for the experts:

Everything sounds great after about a minute of warming up, but initially, after the protection relay kicks in, the sound is a little bit garbled. Is this normal? What could cause this?

It's not a big deal because it sounds great after about a minute or so, but I am just curious.
Protect relay contacts most likely dirty/fouled. Try quickly turning the volume control way up and back down quickly. See if the distorted sound clears up. If you haven't recently deoxited the switches and controls it probably. wouldn't hurt to give them a spritz

Protect relay contacts most likely dirty/fouled. Try quickly turning the volume control way up and back down quickly. See if the distorted sound clears up. If you haven't recently deoxited the switches and controls it probably. wouldn't hurt to give them a spritz

I think you are right. The distorted sounds clears up quickly when turning the volume up quickly and back down.

How do I clean/deoxit the protect relay contacts?

While listening at a low level and the sound is distorted. Tap on the relay with the plastic end of a screwdriver. While listening for sound quality.

'Cleaning' relay contacts is at best a temporary measure, when the special plating on the contacts is gone the relay is toast.

Back
Top Bottom