Sansui 8 Problems

Shawnnnn

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I found my Eight about a month ago at a local thrift store for $35 :)

It had a note on it that said for parts or major overhaul. No cord but lucked out again when I found a cord hanging on the wall that fit perfectly. It powered up at the store so I was pretty hopeful it would work.

It's a 72 relay model.

At first it had just a little sound at very high volume but after a can of dexoit it started working pretty good. It started dropping one channel after a couple weeks so I sprayed some more. I took the covers off and got in there pretty good.

Thought it was finally fixed but then it started getting worse. Started dropping a channel again. Playing with the volume or turning the power on and off would usually bring it back . Problems is it now also crackles a lot and trips the relay.

This is my first vintage receiver so I still have a lot to learn. I read you can rule out the relay by plugging into the main out with your phone or ipod and switch the speakers to a+c. When I tried that it played perfectly on both speakers so I assume the speaker relay is not the problem. As soon as I switched back to speaker A it cut out and crackled and tripped the relay again. I also tried it on speaker B with the same results.

Not really sure where to go from here. Clean the pots and switches more is my only guess. I have a digital multi meter but I am complete novice using that too. I'm certainly willing to learn and take things apart but don't want to make it worse.

There's a shop very close to my house but I try to always fix things myself. After reading many posts it would seem to be even better to find an ak forum Sansui expert to get it right. Not sure how to find someone but hopefully I can get it going myself.

Thanks for any advice you might have.

Congrats, that is a very good deal !! The Eight is not easy to work on and with the tripping relay and cracking sound there are likely deeper issues, as to be expected for the age.

The relay model you have is very nice and collectable, rather than poke around and attempt adjustments, which are really tricky on the Eight, I'd suggest you spend the money and get it professionally restored. This receiver is absolutely worth it, and for the bargain you got it for you are really on for a great investment. Check out www.qrxrestore.com - there are are Sansui experts. Cheers,

From what you've said, I would say the problem is in the pre-amp.

I recommend you have a competent shop work on it.

They are wonderful units but a hand full to work on and I don't recommend that a novice attempt it.

If the shop is not comfortable with vintage overhaul, I recommend you seek someone that knows those units.

From the ones I've worked on, my guess is the pre-amp should be checked and may need a rebuild. The power supply should be checked but just to be certain things are all good there.

Thanks guys, I'll stop poking around inside
it :)

I'll check out qrxrestore and stop in at my local place too since shipping is so expensive.

The Eight is one of Sansui's finest receivers. Well worth restoring. Where are you located? We may be able to point you to an AK member. Also, please post the serial number for the database. Click on the link in my signature block.

- Pete

I'm in Wisconsin.

A local musician friend recomended audioventures.com so I'm going to talk them this weekend. They are really close to my house , sell and service McIntosh, and other high end equipment so hopefully they are affordable.

I added my serial number to the database

Yes, I did already have it. Sorry. Does your Eight have a protection relay?

- Pete

Back
Top Bottom