Sansui 8 vs Sony STR 7055

rxonmymind

I've got this Sansui itch that I've been wanting to scratch. I've heard a lot of good things about the 8 and wonder if getting it would be worth the chase. It'll also help me round out my collection of different brands. Has anyone owned both of these with unit's fully restored?
I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

It is Always worth to get an Eight :) , but it is difficult to work on. I've had the STR-6065 in my rig short term - I remember being really impressed by the detailI it put out from mid and up. The Eight however came across with more punch and energy overall. At the time the Eight was restored and the Sony not so this could make a huge difference.

I'll add my experience as well just to reinforce what stereofun said. Both of my units were unrestored too, so take that with a grain of salt.

BUT, my experience is the same as @stereofun. The Sony had a lot of good, airy detail in the mids and highs - almost a more delicate sound to it. But still well balanced.

The Sansui 8D (in this case) was really punch, meaty, and powerful sounding. A fuller sound that emphasized the bass and mids a bit more than the treble, but it definitely wasn't rolled off up high.

Both were very good - just depends on what your sonic preferences are.

I have a Sony STR-6120 and that to me is superior to the Eight and the Eight Deluxe. That Sony has the same magic as the Sansui AU-777A in my opinion but I don't know how the STR-6120 compared to the 7055.

Note, however, that all 3 were stock units. I should have another contest when all are recapped.

Seriously though, the STR-6120 with a fully shielded 5-gang tuner and 60wpc in 1969 is a serious piece of kit.

Here you may find comparison between Sony STR-6055 and Sansui Eight Deluxe. I'm a great fan of Sony STR-6065. I found it superior to Marantz 2270 or Yamaha CA-1000 which I both also had.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/calling-all-vintage-integrated-receiver-owners.537704/page-862

Round II, Match II:

Sony STR-6055 vs Sansui Eight Deluxe:

Also very close, as in they sounded much alike. In the end, the Sony seemed just a bit richer and more detailed, but just very slightly. Just a bit more air, with percussion (hi hats, brushes) just a bit more splashy/present.

Winner: Sony STR-6055

The Final:

Sony STR-6055 vs Fisher KX-100:

Well, unfortunately, this was somewhat inconclusive. There was some volume fluctuation, despite my efforts to use signal tones, SPL meter, etc. First one channel of one was just a bit louder, than the other, and it seemed to change a bit over time, which made things harder. When I'd think one was coming out ahead, I found it was just a tad louder than the other. I brought my 8-yr old daughter (and her better hearing) into the mix, and she preferred the Fisher, but it's really hard for me to say at that point that the Fisher wasn't a bit louder.

This was done over two days, but still, by the end of this, I was pretty fatigued from all the careful listening, swapping of gear, wires, etc. So rather than fight with the volume issues further, I left it as co-winners. The Sony was the best SS by a hair, and the Fisher was the best tube by a bit more than that. Some time it would be fun to face them off again, with more people involved to give their opinions.

I think it's impressive that the unrestored Sony could be in the same ballpark as a fully restored, tube classic like the Fisher. But it did, so cheers for both winners.

Last edited:
Here you may find comparison between Sony STR-6055 and Sansui Eight Deluxe. I'm a great fan of Sony STR-6065. I found it superior to Marantz 2270 or Yamaha CA-1000 which I both also had.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/calling-all-vintage-integrated-receiver-owners.537704/page-862

Round II, Match II:

Sony STR-6055 vs Sansui Eight Deluxe:

Also very close, as in they sounded much alike. In the end, the Sony seemed just a bit richer and more detailed, but just very slightly. Just a bit more air, with percussion (hi hats, brushes) just a bit more splashy/present.

Winner: Sony STR-6055

The Final:

Sony STR-6055 vs Fisher KX-100:

Well, unfortunately, this was somewhat inconclusive. There was some volume fluctuation, despite my efforts to use signal tones, SPL meter, etc. First one channel of one was just a bit louder, than the other, and it seemed to change a bit over time, which made things harder. When I'd think one was coming out ahead, I found it was just a tad louder than the other. I brought my 8-yr old daughter (and her better hearing) into the mix, and she preferred the Fisher, but it's really hard for me to say at that point that the Fisher wasn't a bit louder.

This was done over two days, but still, by the end of this, I was pretty fatigued from all the careful listening, swapping of gear, wires, etc. So rather than fight with the volume issues further, I left it as co-winners. The Sony was the best SS by a hair, and the Fisher was the best tube by a bit more than that. Some time it would be fun to face them off again, with more people involved to give their opinions.

I think it's impressive that the unrestored Sony could be in the same ballpark as a fully restored, tube classic like the Fisher. But it did, so cheers for both winners.
Wow, that had to be an exhausting test. Wish we could have a local "club" to test various receivers.
Thank you for the link.

Wow, that had to be an exhausting test. Wish we could have a local "club" to test various receivers.
Thank you for the link.

That was actually me that did that test. :)

Interestingly enough, the only one I have left from that entire test of seven units is the Mac 1900. Not because it was the best, but I couldn't use them all and got out of "collector" mode and they each went to someone who could enjoy them.

That was actually me that did that test. :)

Interestingly enough, the only one I have left from that entire test of seven units is the Mac 1900. Not because it was the best, but I couldn't use them all and got out of "collector" mode and they each went to someone who could enjoy them.
Cool! It also helps that the McIntosh will hold its value in the long run. So far my ears have not deceived me when it comes to Sony's sound.
Ironically enough the Sony 7055 didn't sound so good on Klipsch Bells. Perhaps it has something to do with the high sensitivity of the speakers. On the other hand it does very well on the Wharfedale Dentons. And in a weird twist my fully recap restored Marantz 2500 doesn't sound too good on the Wharfedale Denton but excellent on the Klipsch Bell's.
Strange synergy going on.

I appreciate you doing that test thanks. Eventually I'll move into McIntosh Country.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom