Sansui 8080 bias question

Stinkpot75

When I try to measure the bias current with dmm across the fuse holder it stays in protection mode. Put the fuse back in and it comes on. Something wrong with my dmm? I have it set to read mA.

You probably need to move one of the probes of your DMM to another port for current measurement in series. Setting the dial to DC mA isn't enough.

And let me add that as soon as you've finished measuring current, make it a habit to immediately put the positive probe back in the voltage port. Otherwise you'll likely forget and use the meter in current mode for measuring voltage, thus blowing the meter fuse and likely whatever it is that you're trying to measure the voltage of...

Also, you may already have blown the meter fuse. :)

The power on surge with the meter (set to 'DC mA') across the fuse holder is often enough to do this.

Thanks guys. The DMM fuse was blown. When measuring across F07 it won't go above 16.5 mA, F08 is nice and stable at 30mA. Upon inspecting the fuse resistors on 2436, R39 is bad. What's a good replacement for these fuse resistors? Think I remember seeing metal film resistors work.

What's a good replacement for these fuse resistors? Think I remember seeing metal film resistors work.
Just use good metal film resistors, any brand would be an improvement over keeping the fuse resistors. DigiKey and Mouser carry a great selection of them.

Yes, but also make sure the power rating (watts) of the replacements at least matches the ratings of the original resistors.

Originals are 10 ohm 1/4 watt. I think I might re-cap the equalizer board too. I remember the phono had a thumping, helicopter like sound.

I'm making a capacitor list for the power supply board F-2546 too. What should I use for the 4.7uf 80v bi-polar C11-14?

I must have an older PDF of that 9090 recap list
true. I updated it b/c the mistake with the polar caps was noted by more than one AK'er already.
Is this one of mine? I have no recollection of ever using it... :dunno:

EDIT: yup, apparently it's in my list. I still can't explain why a poly type.
It was quite some years ago since I've made that list. It's possible I didn't find the exact voltage with a regular aluminum electrolytic.
I'll check what's in my 9090 for C-03 tonight. I'm quite sure it's a Nichicon or Elna electrolytic.

While I'm at it...C04 (47uf 50v) on the list is obsolete and n/a at mouser. Should I go with a UPW or UTT there instead? I'm unsure of what series is ideal. Price is no issue I'm not buying bulk.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom